2023 GSOC "Group Theory" project idea discussion

Hari Shankar M

Apr 4, 2023, 2:47:24 AM4/4/23
to sympy
Hi, I'm Harish a Sophomore CSE student, I came across your project related to group theory and I must say that I am extremely interested in contributing to this project. I possess a strong knowledge of group theory and am confident in my ability to make valuable contributions to the project.

As per the project requirements, I have worked on implementing the algorithms you listed, including the computation of various subgroups of infinite finitely presented groups, computation of Galois groups for a given polynomial, finding kernels of homomorphisms with infinite domains, extending functionalities of polycyclic groups, quotient groups, and automorphism groups. I utilized Python libraries such as SymPy and NumPy to implement these algorithms and rigorously tested them using various test cases. The outputs obtained were satisfactory, and I am confident in my ability to effectively contribute to this project.

I see that the current version of sympy has implemented most of the aforementioned topics, So I would like to discuss about the most important areas to develop or new features to add.