How to start contributing to sympy

Victor Vicky

Nov 9, 2022, 3:21:12 AM11/9/22
to sympy
Hi,
My name is Victor .
I am  new  to sympy , I have been using python from the last 8 months. Currently pursuing a BE degree in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning.
I went through some tutorials , used sympy to write some of my college math.
I went through the contribution documentation.
    *   made a fork of sympy
    *   set up the conda virtual environment and cloned it to my local machine.

Now I want to contribute to sympy , in order to improve my python skills.
Can anyone please suggest some beginner friendly issues to contribute to.

Sam Brockie

Nov 9, 2022, 6:00:13 AM11/9/22
to sympy
Hi Victor,

Welcome to SymPy! Great to hear that you're interested in contributing.

If you've read all of the contributing information in the SymPy docs, then the next thing is to pick an issue to work on. You can browse the open issues on GitHub. There are even a bunch tagged as "easy to fix", which are good for first time contributors. I would also suggest thinking about which parts of SymPy you're familiar with and mainly use, as it makes most sense to work on an area of SymPy where you have domain knowledge. For example, if you're studying AI and ML perhaps that's SymPy's differentiation because you've used it to implement symbolic backpropagation, or some part of the physics module because you've used that as part of an applied ML project.

When contributing make sure you follow the development workflow and style guides. When you open a PR other contributors will help by providing feedback and answering questions.

Sam

Victor Vicky

Nov 9, 2022, 7:00:06 AM11/9/22
to sy...@googlegroups.com
Thank you , Sam

I was trying to go through the code for differentiation and integration to check how it is implemented.There is a lot of abstraction.
Do you have any advice on how to understand the codebase.

Victor