SymPy Cheat Sheet

Aaron S. Meurer

Feb 2, 2010, 4:08:04 PM2/2/10
to sy...@googlegroups.com
I saw this message on IRC today (I was away from my machine, so I couldn't respond):

alekz joined the chat room. [10:46am]
alekz: hello [10:46am]
alekz: do you know if anyone ever created a sympy cheat sheet? [10:46am]
alekz left the chartroom. (Quit: done.) [11:01am]

I don't think we have one, but I think we should. It would just be one or two pages of a down-and-dirty reference to common functions and tasks, like:

powsimp(expr, deep=False, combine='all') - Combine common bases and exponents in an expression.
nsimplify(expr, constants=[], tolerance=None, full=False) - Find a simple formula that numerically matches the given expression.

etc.

For example, here is a LaTeX cheat sheet: http://www.stdout.org/~winston/latex/
and here is a Maple cheat sheet (PDF): http://math.mtsac.edu/resources/maple11_cheatsheet1.pdf

What do you think?

Aaron Meurer

Ondrej Certik

Feb 2, 2010, 4:48:46 PM2/2/10
to sy...@googlegroups.com

That is an excellent idea. Let's do it.

Ondrej

Gokhan Sever

Feb 2, 2010, 7:53:47 PM2/2/10
to sympy

Sage has nice quick references:

http://wiki.sagemath.org/quickref

This one is for me vim cheatsheet (the nicest one I have ever seen)

http://www.viemu.com/a_vi_vim_graphical_cheat_sheet_tutorial.html

smichr

Feb 3, 2010, 6:57:27 AM2/3/10
to sympy
I've thought that having something showing a flow diagram of how
various operations change things might be useful...more visual

e.g.
type expr .as_coeff_terms() .as_numer_denom()
Atom
Rational
Integer
Real
NumberSymbol
Symbol
Add
Mul x/y (1, (x, 1/y)) (x, y)
Power
Function
Integral

etc... but filled in with pertinent expressions.

Perhaps organized by topics like
introspection

smichr

Feb 3, 2010, 6:58:47 AM2/3/10