What is_number means?

Paul Royik

Jun 6, 2021, 1:11:05 AM6/6/21
to sympy
Why S.Infinity.is_number (as well as S.ComplexInfinity.is_number) is True and S.NaN.is_number is True, while sin(S.Infinity) (i.e. AccumBounds) is False?

I just can't understand what is_number means in SymPy.

Aaron Meurer

Jun 6, 2021, 2:38:58 AM6/6/21
to sympy
It's supposed to mean that it can be evaluated to a numerical value
with evalf(). I guess infinities are also considered numerical in this
sense.

Aaron Meurer

On Sat, Jun 5, 2021 at 11:11 PM Paul Royik <distan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why S.Infinity.is_number (as well as S.ComplexInfinity.is_number) is True and S.NaN.is_number is True, while sin(S.Infinity) (i.e. AccumBounds) is False?
>
> I just can't understand what is_number means in SymPy.

Paul Royik

Jun 6, 2021, 6:51:05 AM6/6/21
to sympy
Thank you, Aaron.