SymPy's 2021 GSoC Students

Aaron Meurer

May 18, 2021, 3:50:20 AM5/18/21
to sympy
Hi everyone. As many of you may have noticed, Google has announced the results
for Google Summer of Code. I am proud to announce that 6 students have
been accepted to work on SymPy this year. The following projects have been
accepted:

Student (Project): Mentors

Akshansh Bhatt (Improving and Expanding Functionalities in Control
Module): Naman Nimmo and Jason Moore

Mohit Balwani (Refactor the ODE module and make it fast): Aaron Meurer

Naveen Sai (Rational Solutions of Riccati ODEs): Oscar Benjamin and Aaron Meurer

Prakhar Saxena (Continuum Mechanics: Creating a Rich Beam Solver and
Extending Continuum Mechanics Module): Ishan Joshi and Nikhil Maan

Sidharth Mundhra (Improving Series Expansions): Kalevi Suominen and
Sachin Agarwal

Sudeep Sidhu (Implement JointsMethod): Jason Moore and Nikhil Maan

Join me in congratulating these students on their acceptance.

In case you don't know, Google Summer of Code is a program where Google pays
students to write code for open source projects. SymPy was accepted as a
mentoring organization this year. The goal of the program is to help the
students learn new skills, in particular in our case:

* contributing to opensource
* working with the community
* learn git, pull requests, reviews
* teach them how to review other's people patches
* do useful work for SymPy
* have fun, and encourage the students to stay around

To all the students who are accepted, you should be receiving an email from
your mentors soon to discuss how you will be communicating over the summer
about your project. You should meet with your mentors about once a week during
the summer to go over your progress. You should either meet on a public
channel (like Gitter), or else post minutes of your meeting in some public
channel, so that the whole community can see your progress too. Note that in
many cases you may interact with some mentors as your primary mentors, and
other mentors will be backup mentors. Please contact the backup mentors if you
are not able to get ahold of your primary mentor(s). If you cannot get ahold
of either, please let me and Oscar Benjamin (oscar.j....@gmail.com) know
immediately.

I would like all of us to strongly encourage students to submit pull requests
early and often. This will go a long ways towards making sure that you don't
end the summer with a ton of code written that never gets merged. Students
should help review pull requests by other students, so that we don't get
bogged down reviewing so much code.

We also require that all students keep a weekly blog of their work over the
summer. If you don't already have a blog, you should start one. I recommend
using either Wordpress, Blogger, or creating your own blog on GitHub pages. If
you are savvy enough to set it up, I recommend GitHub pages, but if you
aren't, both Wordpress and Blogger are good enough. The only requirement is
that it has an RSS feed, so we can put it on planet.sympy.org. Planet SymPy is
also aggregated on Twitter at https://twitter.com/planetsympy. I also
recommend that it have some kind of comments box, so that people can comment
on your work. Please send a pull request with your blog RSS feed to
https://github.com/sympy/planet-sympy.

Starting on the week of June 7 (when the GSoC coding period officially
begins), we will expect you to have at least one blog post a week, describing
your progress for that week, or something interesting about your project. If
you don't have a post by the beginning of the day on Saturday, your mentors or
I will email you to remind you about it. I encourage all community members to
follow and comment on the student blogs, so you can see their progress.

I would like to thank all the students who applied this year and everyone who
submitted a patch. I would also like to thank all the mentors for helping
review patches and proposals.

This summer is looking to be another very productive one for SymPy, and I look
forward to it!

Aaron Meurer

Sudeep Sidhu

May 21, 2021, 3:00:49 AM5/21/21
to sy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sympy,

Here is my blog to track and share my GSoC progress. Please react, comment and share your views as it would be highly motivational.

Thanks
Sudeep Sidhu

Prakhar Saxena 5-Yr IDD Civil Engg., IIT(BHU), Varanasi

May 29, 2021, 8:53:53 PM5/29/21
to sympy
Hello everyone,

I have set up my blog here. Please check it out and drop your comments and suggestions.

Thanks,
Prakhar Saxena
Message has been deleted