NumFOCUS Small Development Grant CFP (2022, round 2)

Aaron Meurer

May 6, 2022, 4:53:25 PM5/6/22
to sympy
NumFOCUS has opened round 2 of their small development grants. This round they have increased the amount from $5000 to $10000.

NumFOCUS small development grants allow funding NumFOCUS projects, such as SymPy for work. Each project may submit at most one grant proposal.

If anyone is interested in applying for this grant to do some work on SymPy, please reach out to me. In the past, we have used these grants to pay people to do maintenance work and to pay people to develop some features.

I have included the details below. If you are interested in applying, please reach out to me about it by May 27 so that we will have time to create and submit a proposal to NumFOCUS.

Timeline:

  • Deadline for Proposal Submission: June 3, 2022

  • Projects will be Notified: July 15, 2022 (or sooner)

Available Funding:

  • $66,000 plus $21,000 (discretionary) up to a maximum of $87,000

  • Up to $10,000 per proposal

Eligibility:

  • Any NumFOCUS Fiscally Sponsored or Affiliated project may submit one proposal on behalf of the project per grant cycle.

    • If you wish to solicit proposal ideas from your project community, the project leaders must organize their own review process to select the proposal that the leadership will put forward to NumFOCUS.

  • Funding can be used for: code development, documentation work; website updates; workshops and sprints; educational, sustainability, and diversity initiatives, or other types of projects.

  • Proposed work must be achievable within the 12 months following the award.

  • The call is open to applicants from any nationality and can be performed at any university, institute, or business worldwide (US export laws permitting).

Funding Distribution:

  • For fiscally sponsored projects only, NumFOCUS can deposit the grant funding directly into the project’s account. The project would then submit invoices through the usual channels (i.e. Rocket) to pay the grant expenses.

  • NumFOCUS can set up an independent contractor agreement with an individual or company.

  • NumFOCUS can award the money as a grant or subcontract to a student or postdoc at a university (depending on the university's rules).

  • NumFOCUS can directly pay for expenses associated with the grant (e.g. booking flights on behalf of project leaders to attend a workshop, per diems for travel days)

Aaron Meurer

Jeremy Monat

May 6, 2022, 8:03:45 PM5/6/22
to sy...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Aaron.

If anyone is interested in working on the documentation, they might consider some ideas we've discussed:
  • Improving documentation for a given submodule, especially those identified in the documentation survey as not documented well enough, such as
    • Real problems in physics, mechanics, math
    • Core/expression manipulation
    • Assumptions
    • Interface with other libraries/lambdify
    • Vector submodule
  • Cleaning up docstrings, rendering math properly, etc.
  • Moving important documentation from the wiki to the main docs site (and updating it where appropriate)
And here are a couple coding projects to benefit the documentation:
  • Technical improvements to the documentation involving Sphinx, requiring writing Sphinx extensions or extending the Sphinx templates
  • Writing or adapting code to grab questions tagged "SymPy" from StackOverflow using their StackAPI, then put them in a queryable data storage system. This would be another data source (in addition to Google Search Console) to help us understand what SymPy users need help with.
Credit: most of those ideas came from Aaron.

Best,
Jeremy

Aaron Meurer

May 19, 2022, 12:06:47 PM5/19/22
to sympy
The deadline for this has been extended to June 5. If anyone is
interested in applying please reach out to me by the end of next week.

Aaron Meurer