Improving SymPy's Solvers Documentation: GSoD'22

Tapasweni Pathak

Apr 18, 2022, 6:06:46 AM4/18/22
to sy...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

I'm very interested in contributing to Improving SymPy's Solvers
Documentation project[1] through GSoD 2022.

What do you suggest as the next step?

Some information about my work is available here[2]. Please find my
short CV attached and a .html of LinkedIn. Looking forward to your
response.

[1] https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/Season-of-Docs-2022-Organization-Application#improving-sympys-solvers-documentation
[2] https://www.linkedin.com/in/tapaswenipathak
htmlviewer.html
Resume.pdf

Aaron Meurer

Apr 18, 2022, 3:05:14 PM4/18/22
to sy...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

SymPy already has hired someone for Season of Docs. I encourage you to
apply elsewhere and wish you luck.

Aaron Meurer

Tapasweni Pathak

Apr 18, 2022, 9:13:09 PM4/18/22
to sy...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

It is a day after announcement, congrats! Can you please update your organization application page with the information? Thanks.

On Tuesday, April 19, 2022, Aaron Meurer <asme...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi.

SymPy already has hired someone for Season of Docs. I encourage you to
apply elsewhere and wish you luck.

Aaron Meurer

On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 4:06 AM Tapasweni Pathak
<tapaswe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm very interested in contributing to Improving SymPy's Solvers
> Documentation project[1] through GSoD 2022.
>
> What do you suggest as the next step?
>
> Some information about my work is available here[2]. Please find my
> short CV attached and a .html of LinkedIn. Looking forward to your
> response.
>

> [1] https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/Season-of-Docs-2022-Organization-Application#improving-sympys-solvers-documentation
> [2] https://www.linkedin.com/in/tapaswenipathak

Aaron Meurer

Apr 19, 2022, 12:53:34 AM4/19/22
to sy...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 7:13 PM Tapasweni Pathak
<tapaswe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It is a day after announcement, congrats! Can you please update your organization application page with the information? Thanks.

I have added a note to the top of the page. I hope it is prominent enough.

Typically we would be hiring at this point, but this year we already
had someone that we decided to work with from the start, Jeremy Monat,
who has been doing great work on improving our documentation. So we
are not accepting applications. I know this is unfortunate for folks
like you who may have wanted to apply to work with SymPy, but it is
much more convenient for us as going through the process of fielding
applications and hiring someone is very time consuming.

If we participate in Season of Docs in future years we may end up
taking applications again, as we have in previous years. We also are
participating in GSoC. GSoC projects must involve code, not just
documentation, but there is at least one project relating to
documentation, see
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-Ideas#documentation-tooling.
The deadline to apply for GSoC is tomorrow, though, so if you were
interested in this you would have to apply rather quickly.

We may also participate in similar programs in the future, if they are
appropriate for the project.

If you are interested in Season of Docs, I would suggest taking a look
at LFortran, which is another Season of Docs organization and which I
believe is taking applications. LFortran isn't directly related to
SymPy, but the LFortran creator Ondřej Čertík was also the creator of
SymPy, so I know for a fact that they have a community that is just as
welcoming as SymPy's.

In any case, I wish you luck.

Aaron Meurer

> On Tuesday, April 19, 2022, Aaron Meurer <asme...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi.
>>
>> SymPy already has hired someone for Season of Docs. I encourage you to
>> apply elsewhere and wish you luck.
>>
>> Aaron Meurer
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 4:06 AM Tapasweni Pathak
>> <tapaswe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi folks,
>> >
>> > I'm very interested in contributing to Improving SymPy's Solvers
>> > Documentation project[1] through GSoD 2022.
>> >
>> > What do you suggest as the next step?
>> >
>> > Some information about my work is available here[2]. Please find my
>> > short CV attached and a .html of LinkedIn. Looking forward to your
>> > response.
>> >

>> > [1] https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/Season-of-Docs-2022-Organization-Application#improving-sympys-solvers-documentation
>> > [2] https://www.linkedin.com/in/tapaswenipathak

Tapasweni Pathak

Apr 20, 2022, 8:03:10 AM4/20/22
to sy...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the information, Aaron.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAKgW%3D6%2Bsx4zvkeZqXK6RpHv_5wLQNX5uKb8P0SmGY3M%2BVA%2BU%2Bg%40mail.gmail.com.

Jeremy Monat

May 5, 2022, 8:28:56 PM5/5/22
to sy...@googlegroups.com
As the technical writer for Season of Docs, I'm excited to help improve the documentation for solving! Solving is what led me to SymPy originally.

I analyzed a year's worth of Google search data for our documentation site and categorized terms involving "solv" into 15 categories. You can read the search term analysis.

The first product of the SoD project is the main (landing) page for solving. You can review the solving landing page as a draft pull request.

Best,
Jeremy Monat

Chris Smith

May 6, 2022, 2:59:15 PM5/6/22
to sympy
I enjoyed reading the analysis and appreciate the sentiment expressed: "to document commonly-requested types of "solving" regardless of the SymPy function best suited to the task." Looking forward to seeing the work progress.

/c

Jeremy Monat

May 6, 2022, 5:52:33 PM5/6/22
to sy...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Chris! Glad the sentiment resonates and look forward to helping more people use SymPy’s power to achieve their goals.

Jeremy