Getting my head around symfony CMF

tomhv

Mar 28, 2015, 5:54:39 PM3/28/15
to symfony-...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

I'm about to embark on a new project and I'm not sure how to best proceed.  I have been using symfony for a few years now, so my question is mostly a high level questions.

I am rewriting a project that is currently written in wordpress with woocommerce.  I am wondering what the best tools for this are? The ecommerce is fairly straight-forward, so I'm not looking for full shop functionality.   We will have art classes and events that you can "buy".

I know that in CMF, we consider Pages as documents, but should something like an art class be stored as an ORM entity or as a document or both?

I'm excited to get started with Symfony CMF but just having a bit of trouble getting my head around it all.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

David Buchmann

Mar 29, 2015, 6:07:49 AM3/29/15
to symfony-...@googlegroups.com
hi tom,

welcome! the cmf is built to be modular, so you can just use the parts
you need. the phpcr-odm documents are the default choice to manage trees
of data because of its flexibility. but the RoutingBundle also works
with the orm. you have a couple of options:

* use orm entities for your events and configure the cmf RoutingBundle
to handle those. then you can generate urls for those entities.
* use phpcr-odm documents for your events. in that case i would
recommend to still use orm entities for users and subscriptions. SQL
allows things like COUNT, whereas phpcr is really about content and not
about structured data. you can declare your documents referenceable and
use the UUID to reference the events from your entities.

either way, if you have a plain CMS part for pages like "About us", you
can use phpcr-odm with SimpleCmsBundle for that.

i hope this helps you a bit. be sure to read about the dynamic router
[1] which is the core piece to translate database objects into routes
resp. urls back to database objects.
don't hesitate to ask further questions.

cheers,david

[1] http://symfony.com/doc/current/cmf/bundles/routing/dynamic.html
> --

Liip AG // Agile Web Development // T +41 43 500 39 80
CH-8005 Zurich // PGP 0xA581808B // www.liip.ch

Tom Haskins-Vaughan

Mar 29, 2015, 3:19:13 PM3/29/15
to symfony-...@googlegroups.com
Cheers, David. Having trouble installing, which I'll put in a separate email
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to symfony-cmf-us...@googlegroups.com.

The Harvest Cloud
Who says buying local food can't be easy?

harvestcloud.org @harvestcloud github.com/harvestcloud