sonata admin usage

David Buchmann

Apr 1, 2016, 12:45:03 PM4/1/16
to symfony-...@googlegroups.com
hi,

i notice that since the group calls "with" no longer automatically
create tabs, the admins look a lot less nice, everything is again
stuffed onto one page.

in sonata admin 2.2, with() creates a new tab. in sonata admin 2.3, it
just creates a group and you need a nested with(..., ['tab'=>true]) (or
the shortcut ->tab(...) ) to create an actual tab.

now to start a new tab, you first need to close the current tab or you
get an error, the tab is not automatically closed. hasOpenTab however
was only added in sonata admin 2.4.

i would love to clean this up even with the bundles we are about to
release. how do people feel about adding a tab flag to the sonata admin
configuration, as well as a class flag to be used in the with call if
you want to do side by side?

tab could also be prepended from core bundle to the other bundles to
allow to switch everything that could be tab actually go tab. setting
tab to true with sonata 2.2 would lead to an error because its not
supported there.

i could go over our code on monday to clean that up if we agree. wdyt?

cheers,david
--
Liip AG // Agile Web Development // T +41 43 500 39 80
CH-8005 Zurich // PGP 0xA581808B // www.liip.ch

Wouter de Jong

Apr 2, 2016, 5:00:23 AM4/2/16
to Daniel Leech
A while back, I've created "support tabs in admin" PRs for all CMF bundles.
These PRs do exactly what you describe here: Use a mix of tabs and column
classes to provide a nice admin interface.

gmx Privat

Apr 2, 2016, 5:35:36 AM4/2/16

Am 02.04.2016 um 11:00 schrieb Wouter de Jong <jong.de...@gmail.com>:

A while back, I've created "support tabs in admin" PRs for all CMF bundles.
These PRs do exactly what you describe here: Use a mix of tabs and column
classes to provide a nice admin interface.

You mean such PR:
Right?

I would miss a way to use colums instead of tabs there.

Greetz Max

Wouter de Jong

Apr 2, 2016, 6:20:28 AM4/2/16
to Daniel Leech
You can see an example using both tabs and columns
here: https://github.com/symfony-cmf/ContentBundle/pull/125/files

I don't think we should add more complexity by adding
some config option to switch between the two. It adds
lots of complexity on the bundle side and probably isn't
used much.

To be honest, to more I think about admins and the CMF,
the more I believe we should remove Sonata admins from
CMF. An admin panel is just a set of pages with lots of forms.
If we provide nice, pre-build, forms for all the documents
in the CMF, it's up to the developers how to use them to fit
their needs. We can then provide some "CmfAdminBundle"
that provides a quick getting started admin interface.

gmx Privat

Apr 2, 2016, 9:07:34 AM4/2/16
to symfony-...@googlegroups.com

:+1: for Not blockig the release with Admin Design stuff. :-)

David Buchmann

Apr 4, 2016, 5:51:27 AM4/4/16
to symfony-...@googlegroups.com
okay, definitly not a super-quick-win. lets not delay the release.

i like this idea of just providing form types and having a trivial admin
bundle, mainly with the admin extensions. even if they do little, they
avoid to write quite some boilerplate code. with form types in the
bundle, the coupling should also be reduced so that keeping admin and
model in sync is less of an issue.

form types can be just for a subset of a model, right? like the publish
information fields that are part of the model, we can have two form
types to edit the main part and to edit the publish information, and
then use both types in the same admin?

On 02.04.2016 12:20, Wouter de Jong wrote:
> You can see an example using both tabs and columns
> here: https://github.com/symfony-cmf/ContentBundle/pull/125/files
>
> I don't think we should add more complexity by adding
> some config option to switch between the two. It adds
> lots of complexity on the bundle side and probably isn't
> used much.
>
> To be honest, to more I think about admins and the CMF,
> the more I believe we should remove Sonata admins from
> CMF. An admin panel is just a set of pages with lots of forms.
> If we provide nice, pre-build, forms for all the documents
> in the CMF, it's up to the developers how to use them to fit
> their needs. We can then provide some "CmfAdminBundle"
> that provides a quick getting started admin interface.

> <mailto:maximilia...@gmx.de>>:
>

> Am 02.04.2016 um 11:00 schrieb Wouter de Jong
> <jong.de...@gmail.com <mailto:jong.de...@gmail.com>>:
>
>> A while back, I've created "support tabs in admin" PRs for all CMF
>> bundles.
>> These PRs do exactly what you describe here: Use a mix of tabs and
>> column
>> classes to provide a nice admin interface.
>
> You mean such PR:
> https://github.com/symfony-cmf/SeoBundle/pull/208
> Right?
>
> I would miss a way to use colums instead of tabs there.
>
> Greetz Max

>> <mailto:da...@liip.ch>>:
>> <tel:%2B41%2043%20500%2039%2080>
>> CH-8005 Zurich // PGP 0xA581808B // www.liip.ch
>> <http://www.liip.ch>
>>
>> --
>>

>> --
>
> --

gmx Privat

Apr 4, 2016, 10:41:41 AM4/4/16
to symfony-...@googlegroups.com
As this is one of the themes we wrote a lot, i would suggest to do some conversations face to face. Best Solution to do a Hackday combined with a kind of a StoryMappingWorkshop for all the stuff, that is in our head. Second best would be series of hangouts, for each theme.
What do you think?

David Buchmann

Apr 6, 2016, 3:02:34 AM4/6/16
to symfony-...@googlegroups.com
i think a version 2 effort indeed would best be started with a hackday.
and its been a while since we had the last hackday, would be nice to see
you guys again sometime this summer!

wouter, is there something we could do to make it possible for you to
join as well? location or sponsoring or something?

GMX - Maximilian Berghoff

Apr 6, 2016, 8:02:59 AM4/6/16
to symfony-...@googlegroups.com
I think i would be able to offer some space again. Either Wuerzburg or
Munich would be possible. Would be almost same vacation for Dan, Lukas
and David, right?

So we simple need to transport Wouter to us :-)
I would also ask for a sponsorship at mayflower. Maybe we will get a
transport sponsorship instead of a pizza sponsorship this time.

greetz max

David Buchmann

Apr 6, 2016, 9:13:42 AM4/6/16
to symfony-...@googlegroups.com
sounds good! i would prefer wuerzburg because i have friends there...
but munich sounds allright as well. lets see what others think.

Daniel Leech

Apr 6, 2016, 9:29:20 AM4/6/16
to symfony-...@googlegroups.com
I am heading back to England at the end of this month, but might be
passing through Germany at some point in the summer. But can't guarantee
I can make it (but would try and make it happen).

Wouter de Jong

Apr 7, 2016, 4:37:24 AM4/7/16
to Daniel Leech
For me, I think the biggest blocker would be traveling time.
However, the coming period (for about 8 weeks), I should be able to have some
free days at second half of the week (wednesday, thursday, friday). Würzburg
(which is what you mean with Wuerzburg, right?) seems to be easier to travel to
from Holland (5 hours vs 7 hours), so I would prefer that one as well.

Of course, it would be amazing if a company wants to sponsor the expenses (as
it's quite some money for a hackday).