doi linked resources for Symbiota records?

Andrea Weeks

Jun 22, 2021, 12:57:42 PM6/22/21
to Symbiota

I am searching for advice about how to handle DOI resource links within the Symbiota database - where to put them specifically?

Backstory: I have digitized the collection notebooks for the LFCC herbarium, which is hosted on the SERNEC Symbiota portal.  I have indexed each notebook page to each herbarium specimen (see https://silverbox.gmu.edu/lfcc/s/lfcc/page/welcome).  I will soon have DOI's for each page-image and could place this link into the Symbiota record for each herbarium specimen. But I am unclear about which field this might best be associated within the Symbiota database, and how I might import thousands of such links efficiently.

Many thanks,

Andrea

Herrick Brown

Jun 22, 2021, 2:29:28 PM6/22/21
to symbio...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrea,

These may not be the best options but a few ideas come to mind.
1) Data Generalizations field at bottom of Occurrence Record Editor (this field however is not viewable via Public Display you must be an editor to see it)
2) Identification Remarks, probably only useful if the IDs with which they are associated are 'current' and won't ever change
3) Location Remarks, Description, or Occurrence Remarks might be valid if the notes in the notebook carry this type of information.
4) Create a 'version' of the notebooks as an exsiccati in the portal and link specimen records internally within the portal.
5) Co-opt the Genetic Resources panel under Linked Resources tab.

1-3 would be easy to achieve as a batch update with a Skeletal File Import option with the caveat that option 1 will not show on Public Display of occurrence records.
4 is probably ridiculous and impractical
5 is what the community needs. I wonder how difficult it would be to request some Symbiota code to be adjusted by changing "Genetic" to "Extended Specimen" so that the Panel Title reads "Extended Specimen Resources" and add a picklist field to include 'type of resource' with options for a) Genetic, b) Field Notes or Archival Resource, c) some Natural Heritage Program Database, d) any other extension of the specimen. I think the functionality exists within this Genetic Resources panel, it's just branded as "Genetic".
Or clone the omoccurgenetic table and name it something like omoccurextended.
Finally, not sure how this table might be batch updated.

I'm curious to hear what others have to say. Several years ago we simply reversed the entire process and built an entirely separate site that focused on journals and included links to specimen records in Symbiota. Ideally, those outlinks would reciprocate to the records in the related environments.

Best,
Herrick

Andrea Weeks

Jun 22, 2021, 6:29:34 PM6/22/21
to Symbiota
Thanks, Herrick - Option #5 is what I've been wanting, too. And with an easy bulk upload option. I am not sure if bulk upload option exists for Genetic Resources field right now.  Failing this, I might use "Occurrence Remarks" as the notebook pages in many cases have even better locality data and I want the public to be able to access the pages. I'll be talking about the project at Botany2021 & would enjoying talking to you about your earlier project - sounds like we covered similar ground!

Rick Levy

Jun 24, 2021, 12:12:45 PM6/24/21
to Symbiota
We have been doing something similar in our mycology collection, linking iNaturalist records to symbiota records. I use <a> tags to make hotlinks, and have been putting them in the verbatim attributes field for some reason. See example: https://mycoportal.org/portal/collections/individual/index.php?occid=10867342&clid=0

I am interested to see what you land on. The bulk upload component is critical and I think it would also be important to check which darwin core field makes the most sense. Would associatedMedia make sense? associatedMedia is a field option in the bulk upload module, but I am not sure where this is displayed on the symbiota user interface, if anywhere

Rick