multiple sheets of one collection

Mark Schlessman

May 13, 2021, 11:26:49 AM5/13/21
to symbio...@googlegroups.com
Greetings all,

Another question about entering specimen info on the Symbiota occurrence template.  For multiple sheets of the same collection, e.g. Jones 471, sheet 1 of 2; Jones 471 sheet 2 of 3, where should we enter "sheet 1 of 2," etc.?

Thanks, Mark

--
Mark A. Schlessman
Professor of Biology

Box 187, Vassar College
124 Raymond Ave.
Poughkeepsie, NY  12604-0187

Katelin Pearson

May 13, 2021, 11:34:40 AM5/13/21
to symbio...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

Someone else may have a more proper answer, but we tend to enter this in the Occurrence Remarks field. Interested to hear where others put this!

~Katie

--
Katelin (Katie) D. Pearson
Portal manager, CNABH & CNALH

Miller, Andrew Nicholas

May 13, 2021, 11:36:53 AM5/13/21
to symbio...@googlegroups.com
Is this what the “Dups Count” field is used for?

Andy

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Andrew Miller, Ph.D.
Mycologist and Director of the Herbarium/Fungarium
University of Illinois
Illinois Natural History Survey
1816 South Oak Street
Champaign, IL  61820-6970
phone: (217) 244-0439
email: amil...@illinois.edu
website: http://www.inhs.illinois.edu/research/pi/amiller

Office address:
Robert A. Evers Laboratory
Room 2003
1909 South Oak Street, MC-652

Mary Barkworth

May 13, 2021, 11:44:55 AM5/13/21
to symbio...@googlegroups.com

I think “dups Count” is used for the number of labels needed when generating labels through Symbiota. One thing to do is give the two specimens different barcodes and put the barcode of the other specimens in the “othercatalogNumber” field. Also, link them together as duplicates – see Duplicate Clustering in the Collection administration panel. And in notes, add “Sheet 1 of 2”. Redundancy can be helpful.

Mary

Mary

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/symbiotagroup/A6861A8C-EBD1-4869-9780-9AB7B946C702%40illinois.edu.

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of USU. If this appears to be a USU employee, beware of impersonators. Do not click links, reply, download images, or open attachments unless you verify the sender’s identity and know the content is safe.

DuplicateClustering.docx

James Ryan Allen

May 13, 2021, 11:49:43 AM5/13/21
to symbio...@googlegroups.com
Our problem with these is that they end up with barcodes on both sheets when we are mass barcoding specimens in prep for imaging. We have not done this systematically, but thinking about this in terms of what the sheet 1 of 2 means, I would think it would make the most sense to have one database entry with multiple images One image per sheet). I would need to check this in our collection, but I believe these multi-sheet specimens get the same accession number and only the first specimen should get barcoded. This is a really uncommon occurrence for us, but I suspect as we start digitizing non-North American material, specifically tropical material we will see more. The other thing I have seen that is also rare is multiple specimens on the same sheet with different localities and separate labels, how does everyone handle that? Also have some situations where one plant out of several on a sheet gets annotated so 3 specimens are x and 1 is y. This probably should become two specimens...

Ryan

J Ryan Allen

Project Coordinator Southern Rocky Mountain TCN

Project Manager Biodiversity Informatics

University of Colorado Museum of Natural History
Herbarium (COLO)

350 UCB

Boulder, CO 80309

303-492-3216

May 13, 2021, 11:58:13 AM5/13/21
to symbio...@googlegroups.com

ON your second example, we used to split them different collections onto different sheets. Even if this is not possible, we give them separate barcodes,with a note on the specimen about the othercatalognumber and the name the sheet is filed by.

In the first case, one possibility, if you have barcode printer (or can doit through your computer) would be to add another barcode(s), using a master number followed by “a”, “b” etc., then rename the relevant images and possibly delete the old images – or link them to the new number. Again, make a note on the specimens as to what is going on – and use the duplicate clustering.  No, I never thought about doing this when I was directing UTC. Consider doing what I say, not what I did. It is only a suggestion.

May 13, 2021, 12:03:29 PM5/13/21
to symbio...@googlegroups.com
This is why, in my opinion, accession numbers belong in the
catalogNumber field and barcodes belong in otherCatalogNumbers. Then can
you have a single occurrence record (specimen or collecting event) with
multiple barcodes separated by commas or a semicolons for however many
different preparations (sheets, slides, jars, etc) are barcoded and
imaged for a given specimen.

--
George D. Weiblen, PhD
Science Director, Bell Museum

Office: 1-612-624-3461
Web: http://geo.cbs.umn.edu

Mary Barkworth

May 13, 2021, 12:08:01 PM5/13/21
to symbio...@googlegroups.com
At UTC, the barcodes are the accession numbers now. We matched barcodes to accession numbers. I now tell people that it one area where I should have listended to others and NOT attempted that. I now recommend a variant of you’re your proactice - put "Old accessno=ghj" in the othercatalognumber field.