Question about images

Matt Fossen

Jun 21, 2021, 3:56:37 PM6/21/21
to Symbiota

I'm trying to set up a Symbiota installation for my personal collection, and for some reason I can't figure out the proper configuration for images. Specifically, these settings in symbini.php:

//the root for the image directory
$IMAGE_DOMAIN = ' ';                //Domain path to images, if different from portal
$IMAGE_ROOT_URL = ' ';                //URL path to images
$IMAGE_ROOT_PATH = ' ';            //Writable path to images, especially needed for downloading images

It's running on a shared host with a custom domain, so the URL to the main project is mattfossen.com/symbiota. What format do the paths need to take for each of the above variables?

Benjamin Brandt

Jun 21, 2021, 6:51:48 PM6/21/21
to symbio...@googlegroups.com

Hi Matt,

Here’s a run-down of what those settings are and how they’:

$IMAGE_DOMAIN  - It doesn’t sound like you need to set this in your situation, but this is set if your database has relative links to images that are not located within the same domain as the Symbiota portal. So in other words if your database has relative links to images found at https://mainsymbiotaportal.org and your portal is at https://mattfossen.com/symbiota, you would set this to:

                $IMAGE_DOMAIN = ' https://mainsymbiotaportal.org';

$IMAGE_ROOT_PATH – Is the full path you would like uploaded images to be saved to within your Symbiota installation. So if you want to save uploaded images within the content/imglib directory of your Symbiota installation, you would set this to (note that this is assuming $SERVER_ROOT is set correctly):

$IMAGE_ROOT_PATH = $GLOBALS['SERVER_ROOT'].'/content/imglib';

$IMAGE_ROOT_URL – Is the url path within your domain to the directory in which your images are saved. So with the above example for $IMAGE_ROOT_PATH saving images in the content/imglib directory and the path you said your Symbiota portal is at in your domain, you would set this to:

                $IMAGE_ROOT_URL = '/symbiota/content/imglib ';

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Ben

Matt Fossen

Jun 21, 2021, 10:53:26 PM6/21/21
to Symbiota
Thanks, that's just what I needed! Now to figure out why the Taxon Cleaner refuses to find anything from CoL.