Switching to multiple points of contact on the collections pages.

James Ryan Allen

Apr 20, 2021, 1:34:58 PM4/20/21
to Symbiota, Dina Clark
I wonder if there is any demand/need to shift the contact pages over to multiple points of contact for different roles. For small collections, I suspect it is common to have one person doing everything, but for COLO we have collection managers that handle taxonomy, loans i.e. the physical collection and myself handling digitization, websites and the database.

I think most of the emails we get people just copy the email from the contact page into their own email and do not use the Symbiota interface, so to some extent just adding text fields to the collection information would fix this by having multiple job roles in the metadata and contact page. I know this could be done at the portal level, but I suspect many collections could benefit from some kind of physical specimen contact and digital specimen contact and possibly a dropdown when using the contact links with something like "Taxonomy", "Database errors", "Loan request", "General Inquiry" as options. Something like that would allow for a different email to be assigned to each dropdown item. I am always hesitant to go rogue with our local site, because I am worried about issues with future updates.

Thanks,
Ryan

J Ryan Allen

Project Coordinator Southern Rocky Mountain TCN

Project Manager Biodiversity Informatics

University of Colorado Museum of Natural History
Herbarium (COLO)

350 UCB

Boulder, CO 80309

303-492-3216

Miller, Andrew Nicholas

Apr 20, 2021, 1:50:36 PM4/20/21
to symbio...@googlegroups.com, Dina Clark
This appears to be the way that Symbiota-light is headed, although I do not want to speak for Ed.  Contact information has been separated from Collection metadata so it seems that more than one contact person could be added to each collection with a little more development.

Many of our inquires for the MyCoPortal just click the link on the public display where it says:  For additional information on this specimen, please contact:

I prefer this way of contact since not only does the contact person for the collection get emailed, but so does my team, which helps us keep track of usage, types of questions, corrections, type designations, etc.

I would also be happy if we quit receiving individual record comments in Arabic with url links to cell phones and pet food… ;o)

Cheers,
Andy

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Andrew Miller, Ph.D.
Mycologist and Director of the Herbarium/Fungarium
University of Illinois
Illinois Natural History Survey
1816 South Oak Street
Champaign, IL  61820-6970
phone: (217) 244-0439
email: amil...@illinois.edu
website: http://www.inhs.illinois.edu/research/pi/amiller

Office address:
Robert A. Evers Laboratory
Room 2003
1909 South Oak Street, MC-652

James Ryan Allen

Apr 20, 2021, 2:19:17 PM4/20/21
to symbio...@googlegroups.com, Dina Clark

Within the Symbiota-light portals (most portals hosted at ASU), you can now enter multiple contacts and define their role, ORCID, etc. See the new contact and resource link tab within the collection metadata editor. You can also add multiple customs links out to other resources.

Cheers, Ed