sciname and scientificname

Miller, Andrew Nicholas

Dec 1, 2020, 1:49:42 PM12/1/20
to symbio...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know the difference between “sciname” and “scientificname” in Symbiota?  These two fields appear in the record importer and taxonomic uploader.

Thanks,
Andy
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Andrew Miller, Ph.D.
Mycologist and Director of the Herbarium/Fungarium
University of Illinois
Illinois Natural History Survey
1816 South Oak Street
Champaign, IL  61820-6970
phone: (217) 244-0439
email: amil...@illinois.edu
website: http://www.inhs.illinois.edu/research/pi/amiller

Office address:
Robert A. Evers Laboratory
Room 2003
1909 South Oak Street, MC-652

Mary Barkworth

Dec 1, 2020, 1:51:32 PM12/1/20
to symbio...@googlegroups.com

My understanding is that sciname does not include the author; scientific name does.

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of USU. If this appears to be a USU employee, beware of impersonators. Do not click links, reply, download images, or open attachments unless you verify the sender’s identity and know the content is safe.

Miller, Andrew Nicholas

Dec 1, 2020, 1:54:08 PM12/1/20
to symbio...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mary!  So, “sciname” + “scientificnameauthorship” = “scientificname”?

Andy

Mary Barkworth

Dec 1, 2020, 1:56:55 PM12/1/20
to symbio...@googlegroups.com

Benjamin Brandt

Dec 1, 2020, 1:58:16 PM12/1/20
to symbio...@googlegroups.com

Hi Andy & Mary,

Yes, Mary is correct. sciname does not include author, while scientificname does, or in other words: “sciname” + “scientificnameauthorship” = “scientificname”

Cheers,

Ben

From: <symbio...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Andrew Miller <amil...@illinois.edu>
Date: Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at 11:54 AM
To: "symbio...@googlegroups.com" <symbio...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [EXT] sciname and scientificname

Thanks Mary!  So, “sciname” + “scientificnameauthorship” = “scientificname”?

George Weiblen

Dec 1, 2020, 3:26:44 PM12/1/20
to symbio...@googlegroups.com
In Minnesota we don't use scientificName or scientificNameAuthorship at
all.

Rather we use sciname + TIDinterpreted, the latter is linked to TID in
the taxa table where author names are contained. This allows us to
maintain consistency and control over scinames & authors when editing
the taxon tree.

Ben or others, please correct me if our approach is problematic.

--
George D. Weiblen, PhD
Science Director, Bell Museum

Office: 1-612-624-3461
Web: http://geo.cbs.umn.edu

Herrick Brown

Dec 1, 2020, 6:18:22 PM12/1/20
to symbio...@googlegroups.com
The sciname field is subject to scripts which run after upload. These scripts as I understand work on the latin name only. So when using sciname do not include author or subspecific qualifiers like ‘var.’ or ‘ssp.’  The script will attempt to link your name string and link it to the taxonomic tree thereby auto populating the author and any subspecific qualifiers.

ScientificName is just whatever you put in there and therefore might not link to the taxon tree.

Best,
Herrick

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/symbiotagroup/7029224b-f47c-46b5-e802-70207201bbee%40umn.edu.