where to put info such as "ex herbarium....."

Mark Schlessman

Apr 13, 2021, 9:10:25 AM4/13/21
to Symbiota
Greetings all,

In the Vassar herbarium we have many specimens that were gifted, e.g. from the national herbarium, or constitute a someone's personal collection, e.g. our Merrill Collection of ferns.  There doesn't seem to be an obvious place for this kind of information on the Symbiotaa occurrence template, yet being able to search for it would be very helpful to us.  Any thoughts on how to handle this?

Thanks, Mark

Miller, Andrew Nicholas

Apr 13, 2021, 10:01:38 AM4/13/21
to symbio...@googlegroups.com
We use the field “Disposition” to designate collections that have been gifted to us and always use a consistent statement to allow searching, for example:

Eastern Illinois University (EIU) Fungarium donated to Illinois Natural History Survey (ILLS) on January 1, 2012

Ed has recently expanded the character limit of this field from 32 characters to 200 so your statements should fit in this field.

Best,
Andy

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Andrew Miller, Ph.D.
Mycologist and Director of the Herbarium/Fungarium
University of Illinois
Illinois Natural History Survey
1816 South Oak Street
Champaign, IL  61820-6970
phone: (217) 244-0439
email: amil...@illinois.edu
website: http://www.inhs.illinois.edu/research/pi/amiller

Office address:
Robert A. Evers Laboratory
Room 2003
1909 South Oak Street, MC-652

Mark Schlessman

Apr 13, 2021, 10:09:02 AM4/13/21
to symbio...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Andy!  Very helpful.  Best, Mark

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Symbiota" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/symbiotagroup/5CE98EAA-4B89-4C50-9BAB-6DCAF414AD43%40illinois.edu.

--
Mark A. Schlessman
Professor of Biology

Box 187, Vassar College
124 Raymond Ave.
Poughkeepsie, NY  12604-0187

James Ryan Allen

Apr 13, 2021, 12:04:21 PM4/13/21
to symbio...@googlegroups.com
Not trying to muddy the water, but exchange history also shows up in occurrenceRemarks on a fairly regular basis. I know that is where this info landed for our collection although that is at least in part because it was in a general "notes" field in our old database and all of our notes data was mapped to occurrenceRemarks when we ported our database.

In any case, yes this is an important piece of info that can help with tracking down duplicates and not repeating work. I have used hints like this to figure out where to mine data from other collections.

Ryan

J Ryan Allen

Project Coordinator Southern Rocky Mountain TCN

Project Manager Biodiversity Informatics

University of Colorado Museum of Natural History
Herbarium (COLO)

350 UCB

Boulder, CO 80309

303-492-3216

Apr 13, 2021, 12:06:41 PM4/13/21
to symbio...@googlegroups.com

Possibly someone should propose a new DWC term, e.g., SpecimenOrigin, to the relevant TDWG committee?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/symbiotagroup/CY4PR03MB2439562AE3475F23A2BF0B1FDF4F9%40CY4PR03MB2439.namprd03.prod.outlook.com.

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of USU. If this appears to be a USU employee, beware of impersonators. Do not click links, reply, download images, or open attachments unless you verify the sender’s identity and know the content is safe.

James Ryan Allen

Apr 13, 2021, 12:24:21 PM4/13/21
to symbio...@googlegroups.com
If we are making requests, I still want to get georeferencedDate added to Symbiota. That has already been ratified.

Someday we will actually have the time to work on parsing our occurenceRemarks field into the fields they technically belong in. Right now it is a bit of a catch all.

Relevant links to DWC

https://dwc.tdwg.org/list/#dwc_occurrenceRemarks

J Ryan Allen

Project Coordinator Southern Rocky Mountain TCN

Project Manager Biodiversity Informatics

University of Colorado Museum of Natural History
Herbarium (COLO)

350 UCB

Boulder, CO 80309

303-492-3216