iblumenthal

Apr 29, 2006, 4:05:07 PM4/29/06
I can not get GoBack to operate. Tech support advises to uninstall just
the Go Back program using the Windows uninstall program, and to run
"Goback_prog.exe /u " from the dos A: prompt. Then to re install.
I have tried it several times. On boot up the menu appears and shows
thar GoBack is enabled but when the computer finishes booting up, Go
back logo shows red circle with x in it.
Any one have this problem??

windsurferLA

May 21, 2006, 12:58:56 PM5/21/06
I too could not get Norton Go Back, part of Norton systemworks 2006, to
install on my Win XP Pro SR-2 Firefox machine. After numerous reboots,
uninstalls, and reinstalls, it kept on hanging up claiming that I needed
to shut down a conflicting program. I could find no conflicting program
being run.

I ended up reinstalling my old copy of Norton Ghost 9.0 that had been on
the machine.

Just D.

Jul 15, 2006, 7:37:51 PM7/15/06
All,

Never ever try to install GoBack on your machines. There are so many nice
apps like Acronis allowing to get a complete copy of the hard drive with
cumulative backups any time later to restore your PC from any condition if
you have this backup copy. But GoBack is a very bad software and it's too
risky and dangerous to install it. Just take a look at my message that I
sent a few minutes ago to Symantec.customerservice.general with some details
about GoBack.

Just D.

"windsurferLA" <ps14...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Dave

Jul 16, 2006, 9:14:36 AM7/16/06
That may be your opinion but there are many of us who have a totally
different opinion. I've used GoBack for several years with absolutely no
problems at all. It has saved me many times. And there is no comparison
between GoBack and a backup software. They are two totally different types
of software and protect in different ways. Using one doesn't eliminate the
need for the other.

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience but I wouldn't make such broad
statements about it.
.

"Just D." <n...@spam.please> wrote in message

Just D.

Jul 16, 2006, 5:14:21 PM7/16/06
Well, I assume that you were using these tools for years, they were really
good many years ago, but I can't say anything good about the current version
of GoBack. I installed from the CD, activated, then went to the internet and
called LiveUpdate. Did you try that? It wants you to replace the existing
GoBack with the newer version and that's becoming a nightmare from this
moment.

"Dave" <funinat...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Dave

Jul 16, 2006, 6:14:24 PM7/16/06
I meant I've used GoBack for many years and am still using it, the lastest
version. Yes, I installed from CD, activated it and have run LiveUpdate
many times getting their updates. I'm running the latest version now. Like
I said, it works fine for me and many others who use it. I can appreciate
that you have some problem installing it with your configuration. But that
doesn't mean there's something wrong with it that makes it fail for
everyone.

"Just D." <n...@spam.please> wrote in message

Just D.

Jul 16, 2006, 6:25:37 PM7/16/06
Dave,

What's the size of your system partition? How many files are installed
there? What's the size of the GoBack file? I'm just wondering because I'm a
professional software developer and I have a lot of apps and development
tools including different IDEs installed on my machine, for example right
now the drive C: has almost 157'000 files, 19'500 folders, over 23 GBytes
are occupied by folders and files. And GoBack just died trying to upgrade
itself on this machine. I'm not talking about D: It's _much_ bigger, but
doesn't have so many small files as C: does. If you have the system, maybe
office, and probably a couple of tools, then it cold survive for sure, but
not in my case. I know about this bug because after spending so many years
in development I can feel how the app works without any documentation, and
in the worst case scenario I can debug it.

The problem is that Symantec has a bad support team, but that's a separate
issue. This team was very respectable just a few years ago...

Just D.

"Dave" <funinat...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Dave

Jul 16, 2006, 8:44:19 PM7/16/06
Well, I use Goback on two physical drives. The first drive contains C:
which is 39GB (18.4GB used) and contains my Windows XP OS as well as D:
which is 72.6GB (31.7GB used) and contains all of my data. Then the
second drive is E: which is 111GB (29.9GB used) and contains files and
backups. My Goback .bin files are 8GB for each physical drive. I don't
know exactly how many files and folder I have on each drive but I know I
have a considerable number. I know when NAV scan it shows over 300,000
files. And like I said, I've never had a problem with GoBack.

I've never experienced

"Just D." <n...@spam.please> wrote in message

Just D.

Jul 17, 2006, 3:08:23 AM7/17/06
Ok, maybe I got this issue because I have about 1 terabyte on board. I have
no other ideas, and if I count the number of files on both drives it would
be more I guess. To get your numbers you could just open the properties of
the disk say C: and find that, but I guess it's not important now. Maybe I
was lucky getting this serious issue, I can assume that it was fixed soon
after that, but I didn't repeat my bad experience after this joke of
reinstalling the OS. Anyway I was going to do that for another reasons, in
this case to seriously reconfigure my home server.

"Dave" <funinat...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

windsurferLA

Aug 11, 2006, 4:23:40 PM8/11/06
Just happen to see these numerous posts to my original question which
went unanswered for several weeks.

I have used Norton Ghost successfully on three machines, but that is not
to say that I've not had problems. On one I had to upgrade from Ghost9
to Ghost 10 to eliminate periods, some as long as 30 seconds, when it
would lock up my machine doing G-d knows what. I still have occasional
lock ups, but they are much shorter, perhaps 5 seconds. I suspect a
program called CCAPP.exe. It seems that when it is running, everything
else on the machine stops, even the "process explorer" program that
tracks CPU usage.

I suspect my machine is configured more like that of a typical computer
than "Just D." Pentium IV 1.7 GHz, 750 MByte RAM, 550 GByte of HDD in
five drives.

WindsurferLA

Dave

Aug 11, 2006, 9:11:12 PM8/11/06
I'm confused. The original thread was about GoBack and you're now talking
about Ghost?