wipefile feature?

1 view

Gene Chismar

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98
I've been tasked with testing Norton YEO Windows95 version, to
determine if it has the ability to over-write unused diskspace, using
the U.S. DoD over-write standard.

We are currently using Norton Wipeinfo, but it doesn't work on
Pentium II processor based PC's (it simply starts the process and
hangs-up.)

Any suggestions?

I've tried to use NYEOW95 to do this, but it doesn't seem to be able
to perform this function.

I'd like to find something similar to BestCryptNP, but we need to use
a U.S. software manufacturer.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Gene Chismar

David Lucas (Symantec)

Sep 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/23/98
On 23 Sep 1998 20:14:42 GMT, Gene Chismar <xowen.c...@rfets.gov>
wrote:

>I've been tasked with testing Norton YEO Windows95 version, to
>determine if it has the ability to over-write unused diskspace, using
>the U.S. DoD over-write standard.

Hello Gene,

Thank you for posting in our on-line discussion group. I listed below
links to documents in our online knowledge base that may help you
resolve the issue.
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/disklock.nsf/docid/1997112081647

Please let me know if I can be further assistance to you!

David Lucas
Symantec

Please continue to post your messages to the public discussion group
as Symantec does not provide support via private e-mail. Thank you.

If you have difficulty getting a response, please read the following
article:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/1998527114414

For free technical support newsletters, Knowledge Base support
articles, our Online Support Genie, and FAQs, visit our Norton
AntiVirus support page:

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/nav.html

Gene Chismar

Sep 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/24/98
On Wed, 23 Sep 1998 14:19:08 GMT, David Lucas (Symantec) wrote:
> On 23 Sep 1998 20:14:42 GMT, Gene Chismar

Gene Chismar

Sep 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/24/98

David:

I've tested that particular feature of secure file wipe, in YEO. It
does perform as advertised.

However; I have an additonal requirement to over-write disk space
which does not have anything written on it, using the DoD over-write
specification.

Can YEO do this?

Gene Chismar

David Lucas (Symantec)

Sep 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/24/98
On 24 Sep 1998 21:28:50 GMT, Gene Chismar <xowen.c...@rfets.gov>
wrote:

> Can you tell me where I can get a copy of NU v.8.0 (DOS/WINDOWS
>> 3.1x)?
>>
>> I checked with a few retail stores, in the area. They don't carry
>> it.

Hi Gene,

Thanks for replying back. I would suggest to try our Customer Service
department.

Customer Service (1-800-441-7234 or 541-334-6054)
or
http://www.symantec.com/custserv/cust1.html

Please let me know what you find.

Gene Chismar

Sep 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/24/98
On Thu, 24 Sep 1998 11:32:10 GMT, David Lucas (Symantec) wrote:
> On 24 Sep 1998 15:09:31 GMT, Gene Chismar
> wrote:
>
> >However; I have an additonal requirement to over-write disk space
> >which does not have anything written on it, using the DoD over-write
> >specification.
> >
> >Can YEO do this?
>
> Hi Gene,
>
> Thanks for re posting!
>
> The Secure Delete feature in NYEO works on a file by file basis only.
> If you wish to wipe an entire drive, you can use the "Wipeinfo"
> program from Norton Utilities v8.0 for DOS/Win3.1x. To accomplish
> this, you will need to restart the computer from a bootable floppy
> disk and then run Wipeinfo.
>
> Left me know if you need more information!

> David Lucas
> Symantec
>
> Please continue to post your messages to the public discussion group
> as Symantec does not provide support via private e-mail. Thank you.
>
> If you have difficulty getting a response, please read the following
> article:
>
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/1998527114414
>
> For free technical support newsletters, Knowledge Base support
> articles, our Online Support Genie, and FAQs, visit our Norton
> AntiVirus support page:
>
> http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/nav.html

David;

Can you tell me where I can get a copy of NU v.8.0 (DOS/WINDOWS
3.1x)?

I checked with a few retail stores, in the area. They don't carry
it.

Gene Chismar

Gene Chismar

Sep 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/24/98

David;

I just checked out Norton Utilities v.8.0 (we had a copy.)

This version of wipeinfo, for wiping unused disk space, does not work
on a Pentium II processor based PC (it hangs.)

Do you have any further suggestions?

Gene Chismar

David Lucas (Symantec)

Sep 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/24/98
On 24 Sep 1998 15:09:31 GMT, Gene Chismar <xowen.c...@rfets.gov>

Gene Chismar

Sep 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/25/98
On Thu, 24 Sep 1998 15:36:23 GMT, David Lucas (Symantec) wrote:
> On 24 Sep 1998 21:28:50 GMT, Gene Chismar
> wrote:
>
> > Can you tell me where I can get a copy of NU v.8.0 (DOS/WINDOWS
> >> 3.1x)?
> >>
> >> I checked with a few retail stores, in the area. They don't carry
> >> it.
>
> Hi Gene,
>
> Thanks for replying back. I would suggest to try our Customer Service
> department.
>
> Customer Service (1-800-441-7234 or 541-334-6054)
> or
> http://www.symantec.com/custserv/cust1.html
>
> Please let me know what you find.
>
> David Lucas
> Symantec
>
> Please continue to post your messages to the public discussion group
> as Symantec does not provide support via private e-mail. Thank you.
>
> If you have difficulty getting a response, please read the following
> article:
>
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/1998527114414
>
> For free technical support newsletters, Knowledge Base support
> articles, our Online Support Genie, and FAQs, visit our Norton
> AntiVirus support page:
>
> http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/nav.html

David;

The problem that I am having with Norton Utility v.8.0 ( for
DOS/WINDOWS 3.1x) is that it will not function on a Pentium II based
PC (it hangs.)

Any other suggestions?

Gene Chismar

David Lucas (Symantec)

Sep 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/25/98
On 25 Sep 1998 18:35:02 GMT, Gene Chismar <xowen.c...@rfets.gov>
wrote:

>David;
>
>The problem that I am having with Norton Utility v.8.0 ( for
>DOS/WINDOWS 3.1x) is that it will not function on a Pentium II based
>PC (it hangs.)
>
>Any other suggestions?

Hi Gene,

Thanks again for re posting. You may want to boot off of a 6.22 boot
disk and try it!