NYE & Backup

1 view

PAtrick AUCHLIN

Sep 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/12/98
Dear Sirs,

Kindly advise the reason why Microsoft backup for Windows 98 hangs
when backing up encrypted folders. As a matter of fact, the backup
sotps on the first encrypted file, while time time continues to
count, and the backup can be cancelled using the cancel button.

Thank you

Regards

David Lucas (Symantec)

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98

Hi Patrick,

The issue could be that the Norton Your Eyes Only files are being
automatically decrypt when you backup is reading the file. The backup
might think the file is in use and stop or hangs.

I would recommend to try excluding the .ACL files in you backup
software. I also suggested to check you Config.sys and examine the
Files= line. Increase it to Files=100, you can edit the line through
Sysedit.
1). Click on Start
2). Click on Run
3). Type Sysedit on the open line and press enter

Please let me know what you find.

David Lucas
Support Analyst
Symantec Corporation

Please continue to post your messages to the public discussion group
as
Symantec does not provide support via private e-mail. Thank you.

If you have difficulty getting a response, please read the following
article:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/1998527114414

For free technical support newsletters, Knowledge Base support
articles, our
Online Support Genie, and FAQs, visit our Norton AntiVirus support
page:

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/nav.html

Patrick AUCHLIN

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98
Thank you for your reply.

I tried both options and none of them worked, the backup SW stills
hangs at the first files of the smartlocked forlder.

Regards.

David Lucas (Symantec)

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98
On 16 Sep 1998 06:12:56 GMT, Patrick AUCHLIN <xpt...@csi.com> wrote:

>Thank you for your reply.
>
>I tried both options and none of them worked, the backup SW stills
>hangs at the first files of the smartlocked forlder.
>
>Regards.

Hello Patrick,

Thank you for posting in our on-line discussion group. You may want to
try this Partick, excluding the files from being decrypted when
backing up.

1. Add backup software to the Never Decrypt option in the Norton Your
Eyes Only Control Center under File Protection tab, Advanced button,
Never Decrypt Applications option and browse to the Microsoft Backup
executable.

2. Add exclusion to your backup software for the files *.YEO, *.YLG,
and *.ACL.

Patrick AUCHLIN

Sep 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/19/98
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your reply.

I did try your suggestion, which happens to work, this means that my
sensitives files are now on my password protected backup, in an
encrypted form.

This leads to my next question: What happens in acse of restore, will
the encrypted files be readable again, since the controle files
"*.acl" are not saved with the backup?

Yours sincerly

P. AUCHLIN

David Lucas (Symantec)

Sep 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/21/98
On 19 Sep 1998 15:52:16 GMT, Patrick AUCHLIN <xpt...@csi.com> wrote:

>This leads to my next question: What happens in acse of restore, will
>the encrypted files be readable again, since the controle files
>"*.acl" are not saved with the backup?

Hello Patrick,

Thank you for posting in our on-line discussion group. I'm glad to
here that the problem was resolved from what I suggested.

If you restore the information from the tape, you will want to have
Norton Your Eyes Only installed. If the Norton Your Eyes Only is not,
then after the restore from tape, install the Norton Your Eyes Only.
During the install it will ask if you want to restore settings from
the unlock disk, choose YES and allow the install to restore the
database with your User information and you will be able to decrypt
the files..

Make sure that you make a Emergency Unlock disk to keep your settings
on. To make a Emergency Unlock disk, choose Start, Programs, Norton
Your Eyes Only. Choose Emergency Unlock Disk.

Thank you for posting in the Your Eyes Only discussion group, post
again if you have any more questions.

David Lucas
Symantec