MS-DOS Compatibility & SystemSoft

Sid Bass

Sep 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/20/98
I have a Thinkpad 600 with Win98. The config.sys reads:

SystemSoft/PCCard configuration -- Do not remove EMM386.EXE
device=C:\WINDOWS\emm386.exe NOEMS x=D000-D7FF

device=C:\WINDOWS\cwbinit.exe /A

rem SystemSoft CardWorks(TM) PCMCIA drivers:
device=C:\CARDWORK\CARDXTND.SYS
device=C:\CARDWORK\SSCBTI.SYS /NUMADA:2 /ADA1SKTS:2 /ADA2SKTS:2
device=C:\CARDWORK\CS.SYS /POLL:1
device=C:\CARDWORK\CARDID.SYS

I get the MS-DOS comptibility message on drive D, but not C for some
reason. Bootlock is the cause as an uninstall will prove.

The <<Do not remove EMM386.EXE>> is most likely my problem, hooking
interrupt 13 (I have forgotten how to verify this). But without
EMM386.EXE I cannot boot.

Do you know a workaround?

Sid

David Lucas (Symantec)

Sep 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/21/98
On 20 Sep 1998 15:07:14 GMT, Sid Bass <xsid_...@compuserve.com>
wrote:

Hi Sid,
Thank you for posting to the Norton Your Eyes only discussion group. I
listed below a reference for you from the IBM web site that states
these drives should only be running on the IBM 380 series machine.
http://www.pc.ibm.com/techinfo/3b26.html
You may want to try to following our vanilla boot information below
and see if issue is resolved.

To setup a plain vanilla configuration, start with the CONFIG.SYS and
AUTOEXEC.BAT below and add to them any devices you know must have in
order for your system to function:

CONFIG.SYS

DEVICE=C:\xxx\HIMEM.SYS (where xxx = DOS or WINDOWS depending
on
FILES=80 which is newer)
BUFFERS=40
STACKS=9,256
SHELL=[Path]\COMMAND.COM [Path] /e:2048 /p

Make sure that the path to COMMAND.COM is correct. If a shell
statement does not exist in CONFIG.SYS and you create one with an
incorrect path to COMMAND.COM, the computer will not boot properly.

AUTOEXEC.BAT

PATH=C:\;C:\WINDOWS;C:\DOS;C:\NAV
SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
SET NAV=C:\NAV
SET SYMANTEC=C:\SYMANTEC
PROMPT $P$G

The TEMP variable should point to an uncompressed drive

WIN.INI
Load=;etc.
Run=;etc.

No programs in Progman's startup group.

NOTE: EMM386.EXE is not being used as it is not necessary to run
Windows and not loading it eliminates upper memory problem concerns.

You would, of course, want to make sure you'd saved your normal
CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT before messing with a vanilla
configuration. A vanilla configuration is always handy to have on hand
(saved as config.van and autoexec.van), because it provides a fairly
quick way to help determine if a problem is a software conflict or a
more fundamental problem.

To disable Norton AntiVirus AutoProtect remove the line in CONFIG.SYS
that reads DEVICE=C:\NAV\NAVTSR.EXE by placing a REM in front of this
line. This will remove the DOS TSR. You will also need to remove
C:\NAV\NAVSTRW.EXE from the LOAD= line in WIN.INI. From a DOS prompt
you can type EDIT C:\CONFIG.SYS or EDIT C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI to edit
these files.

I listed below the manufacturer FAQ on the Cardwork.
http://www.systemsoft.com/support/faq/cardwork.htm

Please let us know what you find out about this issue with
DOS-Compatibility mode.

David Lucas
Symantec

Please continue to post your messages to the public discussion group
as Symantec does not provide support via private e-mail. Thank you.

If you have difficulty getting a response, please read the following
article:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/1998527114414

For free technical support newsletters, Knowledge Base support
articles, our Online Support Genie, and FAQs, visit our Norton
AntiVirus support page:

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/nav.html

Sid Bass

Sep 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/25/98
I was mistaken that EMM386.EXE was hooking interrupt 13; it was
hooking interrupt 11.

I have given up on this problem and I am simply removing bootlock.

Sid

David Lucas (Symantec)

Sep 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/25/98
On 25 Sep 1998 12:50:14 GMT, Sid Bass <xsid_...@compuserve.com>
wrote:

>I was mistaken that EMM386.EXE was hooking interrupt 13; it was

>hooking interrupt 11.
>
>I have given up on this problem and I am simply removing bootlock.
>
>Sid

Hi Sid,

Thanks for re posting to our group. I apologize that we could not
resolve the issue.

Thank you for your patience.