encryption security

lmoyen

Sep 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/19/98
every time each computer in our office is turned on, the for your
eyes only program shows a user name and asks for a password to log
on. what is to stop a dishonest indivual from copying the encrypted
files to a floppy disc, taking it to their computer and decrypting
the files under the following sceneario:
the dishonest person turns on my computer and writes down my user
name. he then goes to the local retailer, buys a copy of "for your
eyes only" installs it on his computer and names the super user on
his computer the same as my user name. sets his own password and now
takes the floppy disc with the stolen information and decrypts it
with his password.

Capt'n Butler

Sep 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/21/98
On 19 Sep 1998 18:38:28 GMT, lmoyen <xlmo...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>eyes only" installs it on his computer and names the super user on
>his computer the same as my user name. sets his own password and now
>takes the floppy disc with the stolen information and decrypts it
>with his password.

I don't think that would work. It's the private key, not the password
that decrypts, as best I understand it.

RB

David Lucas (Symantec)

Sep 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/21/98
On 19 Sep 1998 18:38:28 GMT, lmoyen <xlmo...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> What is to stop a dishonest indivual from copying the encrypted

>files to a floppy disc, taking it to their computer and decrypting
>the files under the following sceneario:

>The dishonest person turns on my computer and writes down my user
>name. They then go to the local retailer. They buy a copy of "For Your
>Eyes Only". They install it on there computer. Then they create a user on
>the second computer with the same user as on the first computer.
>Then they set their own password for the user. Now the dishonest person

>takes the floppy disc with the stolen information and decrypts it
>with his password.

Hello lmoyen,

Thank you for posting to our online discussion group. This is a very
good question, If a person saves the encrypted files to a floppy and
takes them to another machine with Norton Your Eyes Only Installed.
Then the person creates the same user account with password on the
second machine with YEO installed.

They would not be able to get access to the encrypted information.
Every account you create on each computer with Your Eyes Only has its
own encrypted key. This key is stored in the user settings with in
Norton Your Eyes Only. The key that is created is encrypted and can
only be read and understood by Norton Your Eyes Only. If you take
encrypted information to another machine that was encrypted with a key
on a different machine. The second machine would not be able to read
the data. Even creating a new user on the second machine with the same
user name and password would not allow you to read the information,
each KEY is different for each users created on each computer with
YEO.

You may want to install Bootlock which will stop the user from getting
access to all files on the drive on boot.

In you have any more question about this user key issue, dolt hesitate
to responded.

David Lucas
Symantec

Please continue to post your messages to the public discussion group
as Symantec does not provide support via private e-mail. Thank you.

If you have difficulty getting a response, please read the following
article:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/1998527114414

For free technical support newsletters, Knowledge Base support
articles, our Online Support Genie, and FAQs, visit our Norton
AntiVirus support page:

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/nav.html