Blankey Virus

Robert zak

Jun 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/7/98

Configuration Information:
Version: 4.0

Well, Norton Utilities shows Blankey virus, but Norton 4.0 does not,
what`s going on, I have 2 major programs infected - so it seems.
Looking at the day it has happened it may be true - 06/06 and
saturday, which is the 6th day of the week.
that makes 666 - a special date for this kind of things.
I cannot delete files, does anyone know what to do?

Daniel Ross

Jun 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/7/98

I've got the same problem here what gives. >

eto...@my-dejanews.com

Jun 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/7/98

In article <980507001105.5862440965@service>,
Robert zak <rs...@globalnet.co.uk> wrote:
> > Version: 4.0
> Configuration Information:

> Well, Norton Utilities shows Blankey virus, but Norton 4.0 does not,
> what`s going on, I have 2 major programs infected - so it seems.
> Looking at the day it has happened it may be true - 06/06 and
> saturday, which is the 6th day of the week.
> that makes 666 - a special date for this kind of things.
> I cannot delete files, does anyone know what to do?

Norton Utilities detected the same virus on my system. Please let me know
what to do. What does the Blankey Virus do anyway?

Mike Halvorsen

Jun 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/7/98

Same problem here. I think this is a false postive caused by a bad
May update.

LaVonne Perry

Jun 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/8/98

>>Well, Norton Utilities shows Blankey virus, but Norton 4.0 does not,
what`s going on, I have 2 major programs infected - so it seems.
Looking at the day it has happened it may be true - 06/06 and
saturday, which is the 6th day of the week.
that makes 666 - a special date for this kind of things.
I cannot delete files, does anyone know what to do?<,

Hello Robert,

Please do not delete the files. At this point, it looks like the NU Virus
Sensor is falsely detecting this virus. Scanning the system with Norton
AntiVirus, using the same virus definitions set, comes up clean, with no
infections.

SARC is currently looking into this issue. In the meantime, we recommend that
you disable the NU Virus Sensor in System Doctor.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,
--
LaVonne Perry
Senior Support Analyst

Please continue to post your messages to the public discussion group as
Symantec does not provide support via private e-mail. Thank you.

If you have difficulty getting a response, please read the following article:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/1998527114414

For free technical support newsletters, Knowledge Base support articles, our
Online Support Genie, and FAQs, visit our Norton AntiVirus support page:

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/nav.html

LaVonne Perry

Jun 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/8/98

>>I've got the same problem here what gives. <<

Hello Daniel,

We have run into to an apparent false detection by the Norton Utilities Virus
Sensor when using June 6, 1998 definitions. The virus detected is called
BLANKEY.STCN and it is found in various .EXE files. Scanning the system with

LaVonne Perry

Jun 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/8/98

>>Same problem here. I think this is a false postive caused by a bad
May update. <,

Hi Mike,

The BLANKEY.STCN is a false detection by the NU Virus Sensor and the June 6,
1998 definitions. SARC is looking into the problem. In the meantime, we
recommend temporarily removing the NU Virus Sensor.

If you should have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to
ask.

Thanks for writing,