Virus or WORD bug??

Dan Royal

Mar 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/21/99
I'm running the beta version of MS Office 2000, and I don't know if I've
run into a very strange virus or a bug in the new version of MS WORD.

My 14 yr old daughter wrote a school report and after about page 8,
zeros started going across the page wiping out everything she had done.
The entire report was destroyed.

We rekeyed everything, and then at about page 11 it started happening
again, but we shut the computer down. When we brought it back up
everything was ok. I copied the file onto diskette and then loaded it
onto another computer, also running Office 2000. Again, after working
for an hour or so the same thing happened again.

We have run the latest virus dat files against it with the latest
engines and have found nothing. That's why I suspect it might be a
problem with WORD 2000, but on the other hand we haven't seen it happen
on any other document. If it is a but, it may be something she is
triggering by keying in a particular phrase or something like that.

Has anybody else had something similar happen?

Thanks for any help you can give.

vav...@my-dejanews.com

Mar 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/28/99
An earlier message from Symantec support acknowledged that a laptop may have
problems suspending or going in to standby with Norton Antivirus and Windows
98 because of the "new" way Windows 98 handles suspend.

Has this been fixed? My Thinkpad 560x with Windows 98 will not go into suspend
and the hard disk will not spin down with Norton Antivirus 4.0 unless
Autoprotect is turned off. (Defeats the purpose of an antivirus program). With
the trial version of Norton Antivirus 5.0, the problem is even worse with the
screen failing to blank, hard disk not spinning down and the system not going
into suspend mode regardless of whether Autoprotect is turned on or off.

TIA

Bill