bloodhound.file.string

jgr...@mccabe.com

Sep 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/4/98
During bootup on my home machine running Win98 and NAV 4.0 with the
8/27 update, NAV detects Bloodhound.File.String virus and asks me if I
want to Repair Ignore Delete the file. The file is WIN.COM so I don't
have a lot of confidence in deleting it. I choose Repair and since it
cannot repair, Ignore.
In the online encyclopedia it says it cannot be repaired. How do I
get rid of it???

Last night I applied the 9/2 live update, then I followed the
directions for submitting virus samples to create a disk, and now
no longer detect bloodhound.file.string virus. I must admit, I had
mixed feelings about getting an extremely rare virus that none of your
subscribers have ever had (Lazarus syndrome). I'd be interested to
know why I apparently got a false positive. Would you like me to send
the dick that I created? The file that was showing as affected was
WIN.COM.

jgr...@mccabe.com

Sep 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/8/98
Update 09/08/98 It's BACK. Now DAVDX is telling me that the CD
driver, MSCDEX.EXE is infected with BLOODHOUND.FILE.STRING.
I'm beginning to get concerned. Please respond.
John Gregg
jgr...@mccabe.com
jgr...@erols.com

Grog

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
On Wednesday 9/9, my copy of NAV 5.0 arrived in the mail. I installed
per directions, ran LIVEUPDATE, scanned the hard drive. No problems.
Then on reboot, NAVDX hung scanning MSCDEX, no message about a virus,
no options (eg. Repair,Ignore,Delete).
Since Bloodhound.file.string is not repairable, and I don't use
MSCDEX, I restarted in DOS SAFE mode and deleted MSCDEX. I still have
the 3.5 that I created according to the virus sample instructions.
Would you like to check it out?