Virus yevcvjd.exe?

rtm

Jul 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/11/00
When I finished booting my Gateway 233 Mhz, W-95 system in safe mode I
received an application error message that some MS-MVP think might be a
worm virus since it is an .exe- NON-W-95 file. The error message reads:

Application Error
Exception ESockError in module YEVCVJD.EXE at 00057C5D10038:Socket
operation on non-socket.

I cannot open the file and it will not delete by any means. My McAfee
virus program obviously did not detect it (if it is in fact a virus) Any
help in eliminating this problem would be appreciated, including buying
Norton 2000. Thanks Tom

AkHibby

Jul 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/11/00
In article <396B44E9...@fyi.net>,
I'd never recommend that :) Try F-prot.

Using a clean PC, ie not the one that's infected, go to
http://www.complex.is and download F-Prot for DOS, then download
the latest definitions files fp-def.zip & macrdef2.zip. Unzip all
the files starting with f-prot to the same folder, preferably
c:\f-prot\, then fp-def.zip & finally macrdef2.zip.

Create a boot disk, unless you still have the one that came with
your PC? On a second floppy, copy f-prot.exe, english.tx0, sign.def,
sign2.def and nomacro.def. Rename nomacro.def to macro.def, then
write protect both floppies.

Boot from the boot floppy and then pop in the second floppy, at the
dos prompt type "f-prot /hard /disinf" w/o the quotes.

If you want you can goto http://members.xoom.com/avdisk/ to automate
the creation & update for F-Prot & AVP boot disks. This will also
lead you to http://www.pkzip.com for one additional download.

HTH

Ian

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

rtm

Jul 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/11/00
I'll give this my best shot but you are several pay grades above my
competence. When I get to my son's computer, I'll do it. To clarify, You're
saying to download and unzip all these file to C:\ f-prot, of the hard drive
of the clean computer, then copy the selected files to a clean second
floppy, rename one of them and write protect (for future use, I assume).

AkHibby

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
In article <396BD625...@fyi.net>,

rtm <valk...@fyi.net> wrote:
> I'll give this my best shot but you are several pay grades above my
> competence. When I get to my son's computer, I'll do it. To clarify,
You're
> saying to download and unzip all these file to C:\ f-prot, of the
hard drive
> of the clean computer, then copy the selected files to a clean second
> floppy, rename one of them and write protect (for future use, I
assume).

Write protect in case the malware is active and infects the floppy.
Otherwise yes, You could also try the cleaner from
http://www.moosoft.com, much better with Trojans. I'd run f-prot first
though.

Gabriele Neukam

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
On Wed, 12 Jul 2000 16:32:51 GMT, AkHibby <akh...@my-deja.com> had
the will and imagination to describe the world as such:

>Write protect in case the malware is active and infects the floppy.
>Otherwise yes, You could also try the cleaner from
>http://www.moosoft.com, much better with Trojans. I'd run f-prot first
>though.

This write protection makes sense, sure. Some two weeks ago I had to
remove an old fashioned Parity.Boot-B from a harddisk, and decided
to copy the f-prot files to the harddisk for doing so.

That wasn't the best idea, though. As soon as the copy process
started reading the floppy, I got a message that the floppy is write
protected and I should please remove the protection or abort the
writing (to floppy).

I yet copied the files to harddisk, but then re-booted with a clean
disk and after this started f-prot, to avoid another activty of the
virus. It was removed cleanly, of course.