New virus?

Corrie Engelbrecht

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
I have a strange virus on my machine. The virus is not detected by the
latest F-Prot or NAV v4.0 Deluxe.

(Note: The following symtom description might lean toward the
pendantic, but I am trying to provide as much info in one go as I can,
in order to solve this problem faster)

1. I have the latest virus defs.
2. I have booted from a definitely clean boot disk (write protected) .
3. The virus only operates in Windows. (I have Win95).
4. When I run any GUI .exe in the NAv install dir, the virus
extensively changes the .exe file.
5. NAv Autoprotect does not intercept it.
6. Flagging the files read-only, system or hidden has no affect.
7. All files named like those on the NAV install dir are affected on
open.
8. I can provide a hex dump of file differences.
9. The virus also affects some .exe in the Win95 directory. I have
not checked if any other .exe on my PC are changed.
10. The computer has not been switched off since Monday 11 August
1998.
11. On Friday it was virus free, according to NAV.
12. I cannot run NAV now, the .exe having been corrupted (so it does
not pass its own CRC check).
13. I have had no floppies inserted in my PC at all during this time.
14. I do not have Internet at home.
15. I have only rebooted once, and after that the problems started.

Egotist, n. Person of low taste, more
interested in himself than in me.