Odd behavior - 90% certain it's virus-related (virtualroot?)

Chris

Aug 22, 2001, 10:17:44 PM8/22/01
Hello,

I have recently been noticing that my internet connection is "going
crazy". What happens is that about 10 minutes after I get online, the
network connection monitor icon in the tray shows non-stop activity.
I have nothing running which would use the connection and I cannot,
then, use my connection while this activity goes on. It's so bad that
I have to reboot; the activity resumes even after hanging up the phone
and redialing. (I have to hurry to finish this before the darned
thing starts up again!!! :)

Recently, I updated my Norton Antivirus and it has started detecting
the Trojan.VirtualRoot virus in the "explorer.exe" file at the root of
a couple of my logical drives (not all, just 2 of them). After
reading up on the VirutalRoot trojan, I noticed that not all of the
symptoms occur, like the modification of the registry and what-not.
Also, none of the Code Red "disinfectors" seem to work. Removing this
tainted explorer.exe doesn't do any good because it's not the root of
the problem, apparently.

Does this sound like something anyone could help me with?

Thanks,
Chris Simmons
--
Chris
nug...@spamcop.net

Peter M. Leuenberger

Aug 23, 2001, 3:53:57 AM8/23/01
"Chris" <nug...@spamcop.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Hi Chris,

did you also try the manual removal procedere at "
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/codered.ii.html "? All your
writing fit to code red infections. If you go step by step, you should get
ride of it.

Regards
Peter

Peter M. Leuenberger
I'm using a nospam-addresse
To reply this message, delete the 123 in the addresse
visit: http://www.pleasure-support.ch

RP

Aug 24, 2001, 7:13:09 PM8/24/01
http://security2.norton.com/us/home.asp?j=1&productid=sarc&plfid=22&langid=u