jdk1.1.6's JIT Compiler for Cafe 1.2

Symantec, Todd

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
On 16 Jul 1998 10:36:07 GMT, monu kothari <sl...@cc.usu.edu> wrote:

>Hi there!
>I just downloaded jdk116-win32. It is supposed to have
>Symantec JIT bytecode compiler. So what do I do to make
>Cafe compile my programs using this compiler and not the
>old one.
>
>I took out the old java folder under Cafe folder and put jdk116
>folder in its place. Then I renamed it to java and
>tried to run my projects. This trick didn't work.
>
>Also, in my project setting do I need to switch to using
>sun's javac compiler instead of Symantec's compiler to
>use the new loaded jit.
>
>I have spent considerable amount of time trying to figure
>out how to use the new compiler. Please help.

Hello Monu,

The Symantec JIT compiler, isn't a binding time compiler, it is a run
time compiler. It is activated when you run a program in your Java VM.
The code run though this compiler is optimized on the fly. byte code
still needs to be executed in a VM, and the JIT optimizes it so it
runs faster. Using the compiler in Cafe 1.1 to compile JDK 1.1.X code,
and then running it in Sun's VM with our JIT turned on will give you
all the benefits of the new JIT!

Todd
Symantec Internet Tools Support
http://service.symantec.com