New build of ROS

Adrian Apps

May 12, 2014, 9:47:04 PM5/12/14
to sydne...@googlegroups.com
So I'm starting a complete rebuild for my turtlebot2. I've installed Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty) amd64 version and have started trying to install ROS (I believe indigo is the latest?)...  first problem... following http://wiki.ros.org/indigo/Installation/Ubuntu

When trying to install ros-indigo-desktop-full it's not finding the package... bugger. Any ideas? I've got to head to work so I'll be taking a look again when I get home!

Cheers,

Adrian

Adrian Apps

May 12, 2014, 9:51:51 PM5/12/14
to sydne...@googlegroups.com
Ahh, on the indigo homepage lies the answer... ROS Indigo is under development and not yet released. Please use the latest officially released distribution: Hydro.

Why have a wiki installation guide for something that isn't released! Haha. I'll see if I can get hydro installed on Trusty.

Gav

May 12, 2014, 9:51:46 PM5/12/14
to Adrian Apps, sydne...@googlegroups.com
Started typing troubleshooting then realised midway through.

Have you got any ros- packages listed? Did you do the steps for setting up the sources.list (1.2) and adding the ROS keys (1.3) succesfully?

Aaaagh... I think I know the answer. Indigo desktop full isn't released yet :-)  I think it's slated for this month.

I did the same thing, I'm currently dual-booting a 14.04 system that can't install further at the moment.

Adrian Apps

May 12, 2014, 9:54:59 PM5/12/14
to sydne...@googlegroups.com
Then again (sorry to spam the list with my thoughts/ramblings) Indigo is scheduled for release this month... I sure I can guarantee it's release by installing Hydro :D

Gav

May 12, 2014, 9:57:58 PM5/12/14
to Adrian Apps, sydne...@googlegroups.com
LOL, yep that'd do it.

I've actually got the T-shirt for it already, which seems wrong when it hasn't been released yet :-)

By the way, I had some issues getting that scanner driver built and running with ROS. I'll post a writeup for it shortly which should hopefully save others time.

Adrian Apps

May 12, 2014, 10:04:12 PM5/12/14
to sydne...@googlegroups.com, Adrian Apps
Yeah might go ahead and run a dual boot temporarily. Just to speed their development/release along. :)

I know, I ordered one the other day hoping to have it in time for my "ROS install party" perhaps that's why it's not released yet, it's waiting on my t-shirt!

Looking forward to your write up, I'm sure it will avoid some potential headaches. I figured I better get the core system running first before installing the new scanner. Question, are you planning on running both scanners or just the one? Wondering how they would behave together. Probably just going to go with the 360 scanner on the turtlebot2 but seeing as I just bought the other one a few days earlier, need to use it for something!