Kobuki 19V laptop charging

Adrian Apps

Apr 23, 2013, 12:59:50 AM4/23/13
to sydne...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Just wondering what is required to get the Kobuki base to charge my notebook. Is there a specific name for the cable that connects the 19V socket to the DC barrel plug?

Cheers,

Adrian.

Gav

Apr 23, 2013, 1:06:27 AM4/23/13
to Adrian Apps, sydne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adrian,

In the box I got a pack of white nylon connectors that go from the kobuki's 19v boost. I had to cut up the netbook's AC adaptor to make the cable.

Also, bear in mind the kobuki only charges the netbook when it's docked. This saves you draining the kobuki battery to charge the laptop when you're driving around.

Cheers,
Gavin

Adrian Apps

Apr 23, 2013, 1:39:21 AM4/23/13
to sydne...@googlegroups.com, Adrian Apps
Hey Gav,

Doesn't look like I got those connectors in the basic Kobuki kit, must only come with the Turtlebot kit. Will have to see if Jaycar or somewhere has the connectors then. Is there a specific name for these sort of connectors other than a "6 pin connector"?

Yeah I realise that it only charges the notebook while docked, hoping my notebook last as long as the Kobuki does! Otherwise I might look at installing an external notebook battery for it.

Gav

Apr 23, 2013, 1:40:29 AM4/23/13
to Adrian Apps, sydne...@googlegroups.com
I think it's the 2-pin connector you're after for the netbook 19v They might be called 'molex' connectors, or perhaps I'm thinking of a different type.

Cheers,
Gavin

Gav

Apr 23, 2013, 1:41:48 AM4/23/13
to Adrian Apps, sydne...@googlegroups.com
I was wrong, it's the 6 pin one. Info here:
http://kobuki.yujinrobot.com/documentation/hardware/connectors/

Adrian Apps

Apr 23, 2013, 1:51:12 AM4/23/13
Ahh sweet, thanks for that link. Looks like I need  Molex PN : 3928-9068

EDIT: Well rather I need the mating part PS-5556-001

Actually it looks rather like a PCI-E plug, wonder if that would work :)

Alex McClung

Apr 23, 2013, 3:03:00 AM4/23/13
to sydne...@googlegroups.com
Speaking of Connectors, is there crimping tools for JST connectors at the space? I need to make up 4 of these http://au.element14.com/jst-japan-solderless-terminals/phr-6/housing-6way/dp/3616228 for my motors and encoders.

Cheers,
Alex

P.S Sorry to barge in on your topic Adrian.

Adrian Apps

Apr 23, 2013, 3:33:44 AM4/23/13
to sydne...@googlegroups.com
No worries Alex. Also just for those that may read this from other spaces or people that just stumble upon this group (futureproofing!) the space he is referring to is the Robots & Dinosaurs space.

Not wanting to nitpick but just clarifying as not everyone on this list is from the R&D space (I myself am from RoboDojo in Campbelltown) and so don't want any confusion even though I know you intended your message to Gav :)