Robots! Anyone for a ROS meetup this weekend?

Gav

Jul 4, 2013, 7:33:50 PM7/4/13
to sydne...@googlegroups.com, sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

We haven't had a ROS meetup since I went away to Germany, and I've been meaning to suggest one.

So, if anyone's interested in chatting about the Robot Operating System, building your own robot, etc. feel free to come along to Robots and Dinosaurs this Saturday at noon.

Sorry about the short notice, and don't worry if you can't make it, we'll have another meetup soon.

One thing I'll be working on is the Cornell CLAM arm:

Inline images 1
I've got all the bits and pieces, and am now slowly assembling them. The cool thing about the CLAM arm is that all the software to interface it to ROS has been written already. It also ties in nicely with the MoveIt package, so you can get full motion planning, 3D sensing to avoid obstacles, and all sorts of other goodies working straight away.

I'll also have some of the OpenHand grippers if anyone wants to see those in person.
I'm hoping to run a workshop on making those soon, but there's some little parts and vitamins that are proving hard to get.

How are other people's robots going?

Cheers,
Gavin
ClamArm.jpg
Message has been deleted

Adrian Apps

Jul 5, 2013, 7:35:48 AM7/5/13
Aww, can't make it cause of the short notice. I've been wanting to put an arm on my Kobuki for a while so let me know how the CLAM goes.

So far I've got the Kobuki working with the logitech controller but haven't been able to get it interfaced with the 3D camera yet...

Adrian.

Adrian Apps

Jul 7, 2013, 3:57:45 AM7/7/13
to sydne...@googlegroups.com
How did everything go Gav?

Also wondering if anyone has a good alternative for the Dynamixel servos, those things are expensive! I was looking at the parts list for the CLAM and if a decent servo replacement could be found, I think it would become affordable to more people.

Adrian.