Installing packages with Source Installation.

Alex McClung

May 21, 2013, 7:47:30 AM5/21/13
to sydne...@googlegroups.com
Hey Guys,

I know this sounds like a trivial question to some of you. But I'm not sure how to do a Source installation (At least that's what I think it's called) of ROS packages from sites like Github for example.

I've come across alot of packages that need to be Installed this way.

If spent a while trying to figure it out, but no luck. So I thought id ask here.

What commands do I use to download?
What directory do the packages have to get placed in?

Cheers,
Alex

Adrian Apps

May 22, 2013, 1:16:14 AM5/22/13
to sydne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

First question I may be able to help with... Change directory (cd) to where you want to download the file and then use the command wget url.ofwhatyouwant.todownload.com
Alternatively you can checkout through SVN which will sync the directory.

Not sure about the second question though. I imagine that you would use rosmake or rosinstall. Then you can use roslocate to find out where it installed to.

Take a look at this link http://www.ros.org/doc/independent/api/rosinstall/html/ it's a good source of information on installing packages

Hope that helps.

Adrian

Alex McClung

May 22, 2013, 2:29:28 AM5/22/13
to sydne...@googlegroups.com
Cheers,
I was looking on the link you sent, I found a command called ROS_PACKAGE_PATH so I typed in terminal "echo $ROS_PACKAGE_PATH" and it returned
"/opt/ros/groovy/share:/opt/ros/groovy/stacks".

After looking at both of the directories it seems that the packages go in "/opt/ros/groovy/share" and stacks "/opt/ros/groovy/stacks".

Ill try Rosinstall/Rosmake now.

Alex