Microscope

Lewys Martin VK2EVA

Jul 13, 2024, 5:17:19 AM (9 days ago) Jul 13
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Hey all;

Is there a *good* microscope at the space ?
Ive been having urges recently to look at cells, bacteria and other tiny jazz, and do not want to give in to my cravings of purchasing a $400-1000 used unit off ebay for my week of interest ... :)

Gav

Jul 13, 2024, 5:46:34 PM (9 days ago) Jul 13
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
The microscope(s) in the space are pretty awesome for any plausible PCB rework or tiny parts inspections. However they’re not up to the task for single cell stuff.

I have a couple of good microscopes at home that will do the trick, inclining a nice histology scope and also an inverted scope that spares much of the needed sample prep. But unfortunately I’m now jumping on a plane to be in Tokyo for a fortnight. Hit me up when I get back and you are more than welcome to borrow stuff.

Also, since I know you’ll be interested, I’ll be attending Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant for a tour :-) and yes I am bringing my Geiger counter to take logs. Will be equivalent of about a chest X-ray or so, which is substantially less than the dose I’ll get flying to Japan and back.

Cheers,
Gavin

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Lewys Martin

Jul 13, 2024, 7:07:49 PM (9 days ago) Jul 13
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Omg have fun!

Please keep your eyes out for any nice film cameras for me !❤️

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Robots & Dinosaurs" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sydney-hackspace/CAAXQ2GzCSzmC%3DY%3DP5XbGUX5T2MB6WU3w0FMbCT53ti%2BiFOEdhA%40mail.gmail.com.

Madox

Jul 14, 2024, 10:56:03 PM (7 days ago) Jul 14
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Can you please do a repeat of a post I think you did earlier... log the flight; log the tour; compare?

Please :)

Special request, baseline that comparison with the counter nestled in a basket of bananas....

Lewys Martin

Jul 15, 2024, 1:24:17 AM (7 days ago) Jul 15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Please include the approximate volume, and farm of origin for bananas

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Robots & Dinosaurs" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sydney-hackspace/5f46d400-3063-48b0-9f49-618c27b7dbben%40googlegroups.com.

Gav

Jul 15, 2024, 3:50:38 AM (7 days ago) Jul 15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I didn't have the counter turned on during the flight (was in checked baggage), but I took it for a wander across Tokyo today. I'll try to grab the log & post it soon

Gav

Jul 15, 2024, 7:20:59 PM (7 days ago) Jul 15
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
OK, here's a very rough log of some trips I did yesterday. (Side note: I'm surprised that my train journeys involving multiple transfers and different train lines looks so very linear GPS-wise, from the railway schematics I was expecting much more curving and right-angles. Shows how good a job JR & others did in putting stations efficiently. )

Short version is that walking around Tokyo involves (very unsurprisingly) a totally normal level of radiation:
image.png

And here's one just for Maddox:
(Assumes a "Banana Equivalent Dose" is 0.1uSv, no special weighting, etc).
image.png

Madox

Jul 17, 2024, 1:45:55 AM (5 days ago) Jul 17
to Robots & Dinosaurs
I am disappointed there was no basis for your banana dosage assumption, I wanted real bananas in there....

OK what meter/counter are you using and where can I get my hands on one for some equivalent logging?

Can we get immersion in a bucket of Fukushima ocean water vs Bondi ocean water? :)

Lewys Martin

Jul 17, 2024, 3:08:18 AM (5 days ago) Jul 17
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

What about he brings a sample of ocean water home, and then we compare it locally in addition? Then we can see if transporting the water from Fukushima to Syd ey via air has any effect on it