A question about "cleaning your teeth" - just wondering.

shykitten55

Oct 18, 2021, 7:45:33 PM10/18/21
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Don't worry, I'm not a spy for the toothpaste companies.

This question presented itself to me and I am curious.

So:  We eat; our teeth get dirty and so we then clean them.

"Cleaning" them can be done several ways.   But suffice to say we use a toothbrush and toothpaste.

Here's the question:

Do you spit out after you have cleaned your teeth or do you swallow?

Toothpaste is nothing more than very fine sand (I'm told) or a fine abrasive with "decorations" to give it a flavour and make it white.

It isn't exactly toxic.

So I was wondering what people do when their teeth are cleaned.
Swallow or spit out.

Jeremy Nelson

Oct 18, 2021, 10:35:05 PM10/18/21
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I always spit-out. Quick web search suggests that's the right thing to do:

While the occasional accidental swallow of toothpaste won’t do you harm, the US National Library of Medicine warns that swallowing a large amount of toothpaste that contains fluoride “may cause stomach pain and possible intestinal blockage.”

Jem.

shykitten55

Oct 19, 2021, 3:01:36 AM10/19/21
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Yeah, ok.

What caused me to ask was more to do with simply brushing your teeth.   Not specifically using the paste.
Just to get the "gunk of the teeth" after a quick snack.

Someone was frantically looking for somewhere to spit out the water, as though swallowing it would be fatal.

I mentioned that what's in there was going to the belly anyway.

Thomas Squires

Oct 19, 2021, 4:08:16 AM10/19/21
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Are you attending the robots and dinosaurs club on Saturday at 11am? I may go there with my brother tomorrow afternoon just to find out where it is located.

I have the address from a member. I may attend the club on Saturday morning at 11am and sign up for membership to the club.

I built a robot myself that I called MARVIN and no it's not the depressive robot from hitchikers guide to the galaxy also called MARVIN the paranoid Android and it does not have a built in depression ray gun for zapping living things into depressive states of mind ;-).

I have attached a photo of the robot I built called MARVIN. It is yet to be programmed using the python programming language aka snake programming language.

Anyway I may see you on Saturday after 11am at the robots and dinosaurs club. I may or may not bring my robot MARVIN with me.

I also have another robot in mind to buy later that is similar to MARVIN with more features called LIMO.

Here is a link to information about LIMO:

Kind Regards,

Tom

20210624_165759_compress64.jpg
20210624_165900_compress93.jpg

Claire Daniel

Oct 19, 2021, 10:32:19 PM10/19/21
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Spit out, more because the thought of swallowing seems uncomfortable/not nice feeling at back of throat rather than any particular fear that it's toxic 🤷‍♂️. Would want to rinse my mouth of the abrasive stuff regardless.

Brendan Humphreys

Oct 19, 2021, 11:38:26 PM10/19/21
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Thomas Squires

Oct 20, 2021, 1:07:47 AM10/20/21
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I went to the club makerspace today and met the guys from the Sydney robotics club.

I may be able to bring in Marvin the robot I made from a kit from china in probably on Saturday after 11am.

The club finishes at 6pm on Saturdays doesn't it?. I showed the guys that where from the Sydney robotics club the robot I made and they showed me a robot they where working on that was larger.

Regards,

Tom

raf

Oct 20, 2021, 4:58:19 AM10/20/21
On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 02:38:12PM +1100, Brendan Humphreys <brendan....@gmail.com> wrote:

> fun fact, they swallow toothpaste in space:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bCoGC532p8

just one more reason not to go to space. :-)