Dibond suppliers in Sydney?

Peter Hardy

Jul 4, 2016, 10:54:00 PM7/4/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Per topic. Anybody have recommendations for sources for 1-2 square metres of dibond around Sydney? Bonus points if they can cut to size. Or at least a slightly smaller size.

--
Pete

Madox

Jul 4, 2016, 11:02:52 PM7/4/16
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Dibond specifically or any other equivalent composite?

http://www.misterplywood.com.au/Products/AluminiumPanels.aspx

Signorama does cut to size / shape for decent prices from memory.

Peter Hardy

Jul 4, 2016, 11:05:35 PM7/4/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Anything lighter and easier to work than the 12mm MDF I'm using now sounds great.

--
Pete

Andrew Larkin

Jul 5, 2016, 12:09:58 AM7/5/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I have used pvc foam board for robot chassis and similar. Very nice to work with and much lighter than mdf.

Peter Hardy

Jul 5, 2016, 12:38:21 AM7/5/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

For context: This is for a new chassis for my KSP controller. I'm envisioning something similar to these sorts of split desktop enclosures: http://evatron.com/enclosures/plastic-enclosures-desktop-enclosures/33020105/ (except much larger than any off the shelf enclosure I've been able to find). I was planning on using MDF for the base and structural support, and forming the top and front from a single folded panel.

I was looking at aluminium composite because I know it's been used successfully in similar projects, and the brushed aluminium would be a nice finish. Wasn't sure that foamboard would be rigid enough to put up with the fairly rigorous thumping these instruments can be exposed to, but I'd love to be corrected. :)

Madox

Jul 5, 2016, 12:52:28 AM7/5/16
to Robots & Dinosaurs
For Max to confirm, but I think the black laser's alusheet comes form mister plywood cut to rough size for him?

kr...@sleepingplanet.com

Jul 5, 2016, 2:04:26 AM7/5/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

there is a nice product (not sure on price) which is structual but really light and thick, it's thick laminate plywood with a hard foam middle.

I think they use it on boats because it's strong but light.

http://www.honeycombpanels.eu/81/sandwich-panel-compocel-wf

I've just rung Mr PLywood where i saw it a few years ago but they don't stock it.

Peter Hardy

Jul 5, 2016, 4:25:13 AM7/5/16

On 2016-07-05 14:52, Madox wrote:

For Max to confirm, but I think the black laser's alusheet comes form mister plywood cut to rough size for him?

I think Mister Plywood in Alexandria wins just because it's about a ten minute walk from my house. And Scott dug up some of the leftover alusheet from the black laser enclosure, and it looks like it'll work great for what I have in mind.

Thanks all!

--
Pete

Max Nippard

Jul 5, 2016, 5:37:32 AM7/5/16
to Robodino List

Madox is correct mrplywood cut the acp to size.
The other option is plywood with aluminum sheet on one or both sides.
It's sold pre made but it's easy to glue your own with contact adhesive.
The ply/aluminum will be much better over large spans without flexing than acp.

The trick with both is cutting a vee in the back leaving the front aluminium sheet to bend at the fold without a crack.

Praetorian_TMOTC

Jul 5, 2016, 7:23:59 PM7/5/16
to Robots & Dinosaurs

I concur with this. It's my new favourite material to work with. The senty turret I brought to the maker faire a couple of years back was built of this. Very easy to machine and nice and light for the structural support it offers.

Patrick Barnes

Jul 5, 2016, 9:44:54 PM7/5/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

That reminds me - IKEA does sell an alu composite panel as a kitchen splashback.
http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/80206262/

Max's comment reminded me, because - as I found - cutting a vee is all well and good, but it still cracked when I tried to fold a corner.
(put a piece of angle over the seam instead)

Gav

Jul 5, 2016, 9:55:01 PM7/5/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
@Peter - I was just in Bunnings and I saw 'Aligloss composite panel' for sale there. For some reason I can't find it on their website, but here's some pics of the panels and a closeup of the sticker;

I couldn't resist buying a 1200x800 sheet ($35), and I'm curious to try using it as panels or cladding for the robot.

Cheers,
Gavin
Aligloss composite pic 01.JPG
Aligloss composite pic 02.JPG

Patrick Barnes

Jul 5, 2016, 10:00:08 PM7/5/16
to Robots and Dinosaurs

Gav I'd be interested to know how suitable you find it structurally - eg would it be an improvement on the acrylic specced by many open source designs for load bearing uses? (blech)

Peter Hardy

Jul 6, 2016, 8:32:23 AM7/6/16
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Oh, neat! I did look at the Bunnings website before asking, but will get in to check them out this week.

According to http://www.gunnersens.com.au/products/building-products/speciality-panels/aligloss.html , they only make the brushed aluminium finish in 2440x1220 which seems... excessive right now. But buying a white sheet and painting it with the metallic silver paint I have left over from the last enclosure is definitely an option.

(Incidentally, if you ever need something painted metallic silver, let me know. Bunnings only had 1L tins when I went, and I foolishly thought 'yeah, I'll use it for something...')

Max Nippard

Jul 6, 2016, 6:08:32 PM7/6/16
to Robodino List

Or strip the paint off, it's very thin.

A little sanding and possibly a chemical striper will get you a real aluminium surface.