Music visualization as a spiral

Gav

Nov 20, 2021, 12:04:21 AM11/20/21
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Hi All,

Here's a project I finished a couple of years ago, but only just finished documenting.

[Like many of my projects, this one was driven by spite. In this case, my deep hatred for clavier keyboard arrangements. This lead me on a rabbithole of other designs, and I came up with this as a side project. ]

It's a way to visualize music using spirals, and allows you to see lots of features in the music much more easily than traditional ways:
https://tinkerings.org/2021/11/20/spiral-music-visualization-using-teensy-or-python/

I made both hardware (Teensy/Arduino & LED strip):
and software (Python):
methods for viewing.

And I've put a few demo files up on youtube also:

Cheers,
Gavin

Madox

Nov 21, 2021, 11:04:27 AM11/21/21
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Nice :) I'm impressed you still persevered with the documentation ... I can't even get a project started.

Do you still have it?  Just wondering would it look more impressive if you add a bit of 'fade' onto the visualisation such that more are lit up at any one time (or if that'll ruin the visualisation of the chords).

PS : Did you use that keyboard as a ... keyboard at some point (noticing the mapping stickers...) - was it an act of desperation?  Or were you seeing what music you could create while writing random stuff? :)