Laser Cutting Rubber gaskets

gh...@shadowtec.net

Aug 12, 2022, 4:48:17 AM8/12/22
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Hello one and all

I like to ask if anyone knows what type of rubber one buys and uses to
cut gaskets (be it with the space laser or my diode one at home (which
is progressing better then my CO2 one outside))

If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great as I
can go on a ebay binge :)

73
Stephen

STEPHEN BUCK

Aug 12, 2022, 5:16:10 AM8/12/22
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Stephen

The type of gasket material you choose will depend on temperature, what fluids are around and pressure

You can buy sheets of gasket material, corn flakes packets have been used for lots of gaskets over the years.

If you have oils or solvents, you might need to use silicon rubber sheet, which is resistant to some materials. Silicone rubber tube is used for fuel lines on model aircraft

You can probably get advice on what sort of materials can be used with which sorts of rubber, on line, from the webpages of suppliers of O rings, which are available in a variety of materials

What you can cut with the laser is up to others to advise!

Stephen

gh...@shadowtec.net

Aug 12, 2022, 5:58:04 AM8/12/22
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks mate,

Low but warm air (60-100) just to seal from a 3d print to a air vent
(seal and absorb vibrations)

73
Stephen.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sydney-hackspace/008001d8ae2c%2424c7af50%246e570df0%24%40net.au.

STEPHEN BUCK

Aug 12, 2022, 7:17:38 AM8/12/22
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Stephen

One option could be to make up an O ring from silicon rubber tube, join the tube ends with some wire. You can get the tube at model aircraft shops, it's used for fuel lines
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sydney-hackspace/20220812025759.Horde.skin2LrlVM-hrqDeGt6mdZk%40shadowtec.net.

Mitch Pommers

Aug 12, 2022, 7:31:18 AM8/12/22
to Robots & Dinosaurs
What sort of size, shape, and thickness does the gasket need to be?
And could it be solved by a healthy glob of silicon instead of cutting something specific?

I've been researching and experimenting with some different laser safe materials that might work if a silicon tube won't, but still need to finish going through my notes for them.

Mitch

Andrew Larkin

Aug 12, 2022, 7:57:11 AM8/12/22
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I bought a roll of TPU filament so I could 3D print some rubber-like gaskets. Worked pretty well too.