Group Kickstarter Backing? :) LiDAR

Madox

Jul 2, 2021, 9:27:52 AM7/2/21
to Robots & Dinosaurs

Kris

Jul 13, 2021, 8:35:51 PM7/13/21
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

isn't it just this one

https://www.seeedstudio.com/RPLiDAR-A1M8-R6-360-Degree-Laser-Scanner-Kit-12M-Range-p-4785.html

for an extra $30 and a different motor?

Madox

Jul 29, 2021, 9:42:30 AM7/29/21
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Different motor/housing means a lot to some... I've talked myself out of it now :)

PS : If you were wondering which random person yelled 'Hello' at you a few weeks ago...'Hello!'

Thomas Squires

Aug 6, 2021, 8:06:32 AM8/6/21
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am new to the robots and dinosaurs robot club. I was previously a member of MURC or Macquarie uni robotics club. I was not a uni student so I had to leave. I have built my own robot recently and aim on programming it soon. I have not yet met face to face at the robots and dinosaurs club. Though I do live in Gladesville locally.

I aim to join the robots and dinosaurs club once covid restrictions have passed. My brother has an EECS degree from UNSW and works as a computer programmer and introduced me to robotics that I like doing and have taken an interest in.

Regards,

Tom

Gerwood Stewart

Aug 6, 2021, 5:24:16 PM8/6/21
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Thomas Squires

Aug 6, 2021, 5:53:53 PM8/6/21
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gerwood,

What is your background like?. I have a variety of interests and consider myself an amateur of various things and a dabbler or dilettante.

Regards,

Tom

Gerwood Stewart

Aug 7, 2021, 4:35:18 PM8/7/21
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
My professional background is software development/it.

In making things Im most experienced in wood working. Also like electronics and resins (moulding etc).

Thomas Squires

Aug 9, 2021, 1:34:31 AM8/9/21
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gerwood,

What sort of software have you developed?. Do you know how to do computer programming?.

What programming languages do you know?.

I have mostly studied python to help with programming MARVIN my robot I built.

My mother used to program punch card computers back in the 1970s.

My brother mostly programs using C#.

Also do you have an intrest in music? I do somewhat but am an amateur at various instruments.

Regards,

Tom

Madox

Aug 10, 2021, 4:20:39 AM8/10/21
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Oooo Oooo Can I jump in this conversation and ask what you're doing with resins/moulding etc?

I've recently bought myself a vacuum pump and chamber that I haven't even turned on yet, and a box full of supplies like silicone, mould release, epoxy and polyurethane resins etc.  All I've done so far is these trinkets with the kids mixing in inks, mica and glow in the dark paints into ready made moulds.

I would love to see what you've made (and thus what I could try...).

Cheers,
John/Madox

Gerwood Stewart

Aug 10, 2021, 6:33:31 AM8/10/21
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
The last thing I did was a tomato.

So I could make a chocolate one. Because I could

white chocolate with red food dye
.
IMG_20210704_131118.jpgIMG_20210704_133434.jpg
IMG_20210704_131415.jpg
IMG_20210704_133440.jpg

Other things have been for work. Some time ago was a full head mould, which we (brothers and I) used to make gelatine heads from (that's mostly my brother as he's got a make-up and effects background). Next is probably going to be mixing it with wood work to make resin/wood tables, chopping board etc.

I've been eyeing off vacuum pumps on eBay. with one use being to stabilise would (fill it with resin)

Thomas Squires

Aug 10, 2021, 6:38:01 AM8/10/21
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Is your last name Stewart Gerwood?

Gerwood Stewart

Aug 10, 2021, 6:41:00 AM8/10/21
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
What sort of software have you developed?.

Back in the day, web based CMS (cause everyone did that in the 00's)
Some desktop things with Perl/Java/TCL
Lot of DB related stuff, either scripts or web systems.
Some things with Arduino and Pi (using python)

Do you know how to do computer programming?.

Short answer is yes. Long answer depends on what it is.
mainly business systems (warehousing, retail, dbs etc).

What programming languages do you know?.

PHP
Java (been a little while)
picking up Python
JS,
BASH (from running servers)
Perl (sooo much perl)
C# (primary for Unity)

I can find my way around C and C++

I have mostly studied python to help with programming MARVIN my robot I built.

My mother used to program punch card computers back in the 1970s.

My brother mostly programs using C#.

Also do you have an intrest in music? I do somewhat but am an amateur at various instruments.

Like Music, Like instruments. Can't play 'em.

Gerwood Stewart

Aug 10, 2021, 6:41:46 AM8/10/21
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Thomas Squires

Aug 10, 2021, 6:43:18 AM8/10/21
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I think I found you on linked in I am also on linked in.

Thomas Squires

Aug 10, 2021, 6:44:30 AM8/10/21
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I just sent a friend request to you on linked in.

Gerwood Stewart

Aug 10, 2021, 7:23:08 AM8/10/21
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Madox

Aug 10, 2021, 10:04:11 AM8/10/21
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Ah cute, I'm going to look into keycaps and other functional things.  LED lamps is next on my agenda, I'll share some pics when(if) I finish it ;)

STEPHEN BUCK

Aug 16, 2021, 8:59:06 PM8/16/21
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Hi All

I hope all the robot, dinosaurs etc are surviving the lockdown, keeping busy on their too many projects and looking forward to catching up again

Some questions for the experts

I've been looking  at what's available for a home laser cutter.  Does anyone have one?

There are several advertised on Ebay, out of China, mostly what, I understand, are known as K40 cutters, rated at 40 Watts and cost around $500 including delivery.  It seems these come from a variety of assemblers who rely on a different  variety of part producers.  There seems to be some commonality in housings, and probably other items too.  It also seems that many of these laser cutters, and others of varying capacity, and from different suppliers, are brought in bulk to a warehouse at Regent's Park in Sydney for distribution.  This raises the issue as to whether the warehouse operator is the supplier and hence is responsible for warranty support under Australian consumer law.

Youtube clips show a less than flattering assessment of the machines, and, in summary, it seems they need considerable work to get them up to scratch:

·         replace the control board

·         replace the control panel and install an analogue meter

·         install a water flowmeter for the laser

·         provide an interlock to shut down the laser when the door is opened

·         ensure the body is earthed

·         protect bare electrical connections

·         add a water cooler

·         purchase a copy of Lightburn

One commentator suggested that, after a couple of months work, you might end up with a decent laser cutter.  The K40 has a 300 x 200 table.  At the price, it has a fixed table and no locator red LED

There are larger machines on offer, a 50 Watt laser cutter, with a 500 x 300 working area, and a weight of 65 kg for around 1700, and a 60 Watt laser with a 700 x 500 working area and weight of 180 kg for around $2300.  It seems these require the same effort and upgrades to get them up to scratch.

Now, I'm happy to fiddle with model trains, I already have too many projects on the go, so I'm not interested in building my own laser cutter

Digging around, I came up with the Emblazer laser cutter, locally made, 500 x 300 work area, for around $3,800.  This has a 5 Watt LED laser, which is aircooled.  They claim the 5 Watt LED laser is equivalent of a 20 Watt CO2 and I've seen a claim it will cut 3 mm ply  at 2.5 mm/sec.  Because it's aircooled, no water is required.  The weight is a rather more manageable 12 kg.  Because it's sold into schools, it'll need to meet reasonable safety standards.  The price includes Lightburn.  It includes a locating LED and, in place of an adjustable table, has a Z axis for the laser.  I note that the laser won't cut clear acrylic (or other clear plastics), I guess this is a frequency issue.  Considering the cost of bringing a Chinese laser of similar workspace capacity up to scratch, the price doesn't seem unreasonable

Emblazer also offer a kit of the above, with no enclosure for $1688.50 including air assist.  I'd be surprised if I couldn't make an adequate aluminium enclosure, with interlocks, in one day, for around $100, and add an extra day to assemble the laser.  These are currently not in stock

So, a couple of questions for the experts

1.       Has anyone managed to get a cheap Chinese laser cutter to work?

2.       Has anyone any experience with the Emblaser, kit or ready to run?

3.       Any thoughts on the performance of the 5 Watt LED laser and rating compared with a 20 Watt CO2 laser?

4.       If anyone has a laser cutter with a 5 Watt LED laser would they be able to a test with cutting 1.5 mm clear acrylic

Thanks in anticipation

Stay safe

Stephen

Max Nippard

Aug 17, 2021, 1:25:15 AM8/17/21
to Robodino List
I have helped a few people with a variety of the Chinese lasers 60w and up and recently upgraded a K40 for a relative.
The things that need to be worked on right away are small things like checking the metal case is connected to the earth pin on the power cord.
All of the Chinese lasers I've seen worked from day one.
There is plenty of nice to have features like new controller for the K40, air assist for K40, adjustable table for K40, water flow meter, laser power gauge, but they aren't essential to use the laser productively.

Lightburn in very nice and I would recommend it, but I just use the lasercad Chinese software that came with my controller myself as it works fine and I'm happy with it.

I haven't used diode laser cutters but you are correct about the frequency problem with cutting clear plastic. Clear acrylic is opaque to the far infrared light of CO2 lasers but the blue diode light passes through.

STEPHEN BUCK

Aug 17, 2021, 2:14:55 AM8/17/21
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Max

Much appreciated

Stephen

Madox

Aug 17, 2021, 2:47:38 AM8/17/21
to Robots & Dinosaurs
I see Max has already replied :) I was going to refer to him on the K40 stuff.

1) An alternative is to mount a laser diode onto an existing 3D printer/CNC if you want to go the laser diode path

2) I don't think the laser diodes will cut clear acrylic, thin'ish acrylic and plywood etc should pose no problem etc.  I'm still looking into CNC'ing acrylic.

3) The Emblaser is apparently pretty decent if you want the enclosed laser space and have kids etc around the house.  I got a similar desktop laser kind of thing but requires multiple passes to cut through acrylic.

STEPHEN BUCK

Aug 17, 2021, 3:30:11 AM8/17/21
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Madox

Kris

Aug 23, 2021, 3:42:28 AM8/23/21
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

that has been my experience, you can buy a cheap laser cutter, but you'll have to spend a fair amount of time making it work.

so you might as well buy the biggest one you can afford.

the warranty sits with who you bought it off. not the distributor afaik.

there are a few threads on here about buying a laser cutter and it's worth reading even if they are a bit old.

I may have been spoiled with the laser cutters at the space but 2.5mm/s sounds pretty slow. and given that's a 'round' number, it's likely slower than that.

even at face value that's 4 minutes to cut a single 30cm diameter circle. Given that speed it would seem 5w led = 20w co2 doesn't hold up.

STEPHEN BUCK

Aug 23, 2021, 7:27:54 PM8/23/21
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Kris

I'm pretty happy with your assessment.

A lot of  the laser cutting I do is for model railway buildings, doing etching for brickwork, and the Emblaser would no doubt do his satisfactorily.  But the slow speed and inability to do clear acrylic is a real issue

I'd be happy to take on assembling a kit Emblaser, and to build an enclosure, but, I'm a bit more cautious about taking on a Chinese laser which may have problems, the sheer size of the unit and other services, like water

For further consideration here!

Stephen

On 17/8/21 10:58 am, STEPHEN BUCK wrote:

[...]

1.      replace the control board

2.      replace the control panel and install an analogue meter

3.      install a water flowmeter for the laser

4.      provide an interlock to shut down the laser when the door is opened

5.      ensure the body is earthed

6.      protect bare electrical connections

7.      add a water cooler

8.      purchase a copy of Lightburn