Why is this "funny"?

shykitten55

Aug 13, 2021, 2:43:57 AM8/13/21
to Robots & Dinosaurs

There is the saying:
30% of accidents at work go unreported......

I kind of get it, but am not quite smart enough to understand the mechanics of why it is supposed to be funny.

Someone - please.

Sean McNamara

Aug 13, 2021, 3:18:13 AM8/13/21
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Well, first off - if they're unreported, how do we know they're 30%?

Sean McNamara
0414 270 132

shykitten55

Aug 13, 2021, 3:34:11 AM8/13/21
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Good.   That's what I was thinking.

But wanted to be sure I wasn't mistaken.

Thomas Squires

Aug 13, 2021, 3:36:29 AM8/13/21
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Are you aspie? Have you been diagnosed with high functioning autism or know what high functioning autism is?.

Regards,

Tom

STEPHEN BUCK

Aug 13, 2021, 3:37:43 AM8/13/21
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com

Having been around industrial safety issues for many years, there's a variety of reasons accidents aren't reported:

·         people think they are inconsequential

·         people think they are too busy to report or it's a waste of time

·         employers and employees can face the courts or receive fines if they report accidents

·         the organisation discourages reporting

The last is a bit of a worry, but apparently some organisations have set targets to reduce accidents and one way used was to discourage reporting!

I'd suggest that reporting accidents is actually less important than reporting near misses as the ratio of near misses to actual accidents could range from 10:1 to 100:1, and proper use of near miss reporting can highlight potential accidents before they occur

Stay safe

Stephen

shykitten55

Aug 13, 2021, 3:39:33 AM8/13/21
to Robots & Dinosaurs
I think I am more a pigeon.

I've been stuck in a lot of pigeon holes in my life.

Probably though.

But I am not too interested in the label.   What ever it is, I have to live with it.
It is normality for me.

shykitten55

Aug 13, 2021, 3:42:45 AM8/13/21
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Thanks Stephen.

I also get that part of it too.

Luckily not speaking from experience but I have seen what you mentioned a long time ago and it was frightening.

I was "torn" between that and the sarcastic side of it as Sean mentioned.

shykitten55

Aug 13, 2021, 3:44:38 AM8/13/21
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Ooops,  that wasn't well worded.

I meant it isn't something which just happened.

It is just it was heard in conversation recently and there was this big divide between it being serious and sarcastic.

When I was at work though......    (Shudder)

Sean McNamara

Aug 13, 2021, 3:47:36 AM8/13/21
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
FWIW 87.56% of statistics are made up.

Sean McNamara
0414 270 132

shykitten55

Aug 13, 2021, 3:53:24 AM8/13/21
to Robots & Dinosaurs
I don't know how to spell that French saying.....

But top marks for the reply.   ;)
Couldn't have put it better myself.

Gerwood Stewart

Aug 13, 2021, 3:57:11 AM8/13/21
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
And while context wise it may be meant as a joke there are ways to work that out.

I.E. Reporting is official. It would be easy enough to establish (some kind of metric) under-reporting from independent surveys or research, asking questions such as 'have you been injured at work and not told anyone'. 'Have you XYZ (something considered an injury) while working?' with a follow up of 'Did you tell anyone?'

And look at the difference in info.

shykitten55

Aug 13, 2021, 4:04:52 AM8/13/21
to Robots & Dinosaurs
and also thanks for that reply.

I guess to "complete" the funny story it would be something like:

30% of accidents at work aren't reported.
But in light of new information:   87% of statistics are wrong.

Just to do a double barrel rather than a single funny one.

Sean McNamara

Aug 13, 2021, 4:06:28 AM8/13/21
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
There are always data points which speak to the story.

Whenever I report to emergency departments (not frequently, but depressingly so) there's always a question of whether it's a workplace accident (can't recall exact phrasing as it's never been so [and no, I'm not non-reporting workplace accidents, leave me out of the 30%!]), so that could be compared to which of those were reported in other contexts.

But then, if it's reported there but not elsewhere, is it still non-reported.

Know thy dataset, I guess, is the lesson for today.

Amen.

Sean McNamara
0414 270 132

Sean McNamara

Aug 13, 2021, 4:07:08 AM8/13/21
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Hey! I just said they were made up - not wrong!

Sean McNamara
0414 270 132

shykitten55

Aug 13, 2021, 4:12:29 AM8/13/21
to Robots & Dinosaurs

Sean,

Ok, out of context.

I just wanted to try to make it a two for one funny,
Probably me not translating the humour in the best way.

Gerwood Stewart

Aug 14, 2021, 6:07:43 PM8/14/21
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
I feel a tree in a forest joke coming on.

If a workplace accident is reported in a hospital is it still a workplace accident?