Laser Size

gh...@shadowtec.net

Oct 24, 2021, 6:00:48 PM10/24/21
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Hi all Long time no type.

My laser is almost there (Besides the Z table kicking my teeth in) but
I like to know if we still have that large laser in the space and if
so what are it dimensions ?

73
Stephen

gh...@shadowtec.net

Oct 24, 2021, 6:43:41 PM10/24/21
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi again.

Also what is a max or recommended depth cut for MDF?

Cheers
Stephen Howard
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sydney-hackspace/20211025090035.Horde.rZvEH9FUJoT6swepno-qTsL%40www.shadowtec.net.

gh...@shadowtec.net

Oct 25, 2021, 11:27:48 PM10/25/21
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am wondering if my emails about the large laser are going making it.
I like to come as a visitor on the 5th (assuming I get my designs ready.

I need to know the if we still have that large laser, the cutting size
and max depth for MDF :)

Cheers
Stephen
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sydney-hackspace/20211025094328.Horde.Eb8xMts59d8kDSKbjjlgNl3%40www.shadowtec.net.

Kris

Oct 26, 2021, 5:18:21 AM10/26/21
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
the laser is still there, but i don't think anyone knows the max depth
of mdf. i think it would be about the same of bamboo... so if you have
over 5mm you might need to do two passes.
>>> http://ampvb.serversmtptrack.com/tracking/qaR9ZGH2AQVjAwHmAmt0AmL3AwxlBPM5qzS4qaR9ZQbjDN.
>>

>> --
>> http://ampvb.serversmtptrack.com/tracking/qaR9ZGH2AQVjAwHmAmt0AmL3AwxlBPM5qzS4qaR9ZQbkGt.

Sophie Parker

Oct 26, 2021, 5:47:05 AM10/26/21
to Robots & Dinosaurs
Hi, the laser cutter fits about 1000*1200 sheets, and happily cuts 7mm plywood. It’s possible to cut up to 12 mm in multiple passes but not encouraged as the edge gets bad.

MDF is not an appropriate material to laser cut due to toxic content of the glue inside. You may be able to use the CNC router instead, which fits approx 750*750 cutting area and up to about 25mm thick.

gh...@shadowtec.net

Oct 26, 2021, 6:04:37 AM10/26/21
to sydney-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks all. I thought my messages where not sending (happened before)
This gives me something to design around.

As for MDF, thanks for the heads up, I am used to working with MDF but
I can change to ply.

Because I am on a bike and getting Ply would not be safe, I used a
personal shopper service. when I am ready one sat I schedule a shop to
get my (now) ply that can fit into a normal car. Pew the wood. and
then use the delivery version to send it to workshop where I now play
for assembly painting etc.

Well that's the plan anyway :P

Thanks
Stephen

As for my own laser. Well for some reason the Z table is kicking my teeth in