Is SQL Anywhere trying to be too helpful?

David

Oct 23, 2009, 8:54:09 AM10/23/09
Several times I have noticed the following causing a problem in my code
-- the missing comma after column col2 causes the line to be treated as
though column col3 is the object of an AS clause. This is AS DOCUMENTED
however if the AS (now optional) were required (either through a
standards change or vendor supplied & optional override switch - vendor
supplied switch preferred) this would clearly be an error at creation
time (instead of a execution time / logic flaw that must be found).

SELECT col1,
col2
col3,
col4
FROM table;

Glenn Paulley [Sybase iAnywhere]

Oct 23, 2009, 10:49:28 AM10/23/09
While I might sympathize with you, the SQL language is what it is... the
AS keyword is optional in the SQL standard and it has been this way for
I don't know how long.

Adding a server switch to force AS to be mandatory can potentially break
any other piece of software that interacts with the server - including
all of the SQL Anywhere tools and utilities (DBISQL, Sybase Central,
dbunload, etc.) in addition to any other reporting software one might
use from any other vendor.

Glenn

--
Glenn Paulley
Director, Engineering (Query Processing)

Blog: http://iablog.sybase.com/paulley

EBF's and Patches: http://downloads.sybase.com
choose SQL Anywhere Studio >> change 'time frame' to all

To Submit Bug Reports: http://case-express.sybase.com

SQL Anywhere Studio Supported Platforms and Support Status
http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1002288

Whitepapers, TechDocs, and bug fixes are all available through the
Sybase iAnywhere pages at
http://www.sybase.com/products/databasemanagement/sqlanywhere/technicalsupport

Breck Carter [TeamSybase]

Oct 23, 2009, 11:47:20 AM10/23/09
I agree, this is an annoyance in SQL.

Breck

--
Breck Carter http://sqlanywhere.blogspot.com/

RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services
breck....@risingroad.com

Volker Barth

Oct 23, 2009, 11:56:03 AM10/23/09
Sorry, but I use the alias without AS really often as it's standard.

Regards
Volker

David

Oct 23, 2009, 3:19:15 PM10/23/09

That is why I believe a internal database switch like the optional
debug_messages named say AS_REQUIRED set by default to off preserves as
default the current functionality yet allows those desiring that the AS
be required to turn it ON. Nothing at all should change for you if it
is implemented in that manner.

David

Oct 23, 2009, 3:27:48 PM10/23/09
Glenn

That is why I believe a internal database switch like the optional

debug_messages currently in the database named say AS_REQUIRED or
SQLANY_AS_REQUIRED - to avoid conflicts with other vendors) set by

default to off preserves as default the current functionality yet allows
those desiring that the AS be required to turn it ON. Nothing at all

should change for users like Volker if it is implemented in that manner.

I defer to Sybase and the SQL Anywhere people in determining the
validity of this change and I thank you for responding.