Unload all database objects owned by a particular user

Justin Willey

Sep 30, 2009, 5:59:13 AM9/30/09
Unless I am missing something obvious (it wouldn't be the first time!),
but there is no easy way to unload all the database objects that are
owned by a particular user.

I envisage a switch on dbunload that allows you to specify a user, and
some similar option in the Sybase Central plug-in.

At first I thought to just connect as the specific user, but unless the
user has dba rights you don't seem to be able to unload. (Tested in 10.0.1)

Thanks

Justin Willey

Unknown

Sep 30, 2009, 7:16:49 PM9/30/09
There is no specific switch to filter that way (at least not w\dbunload).

Have you tried running dbunload connected as that user?
Sybase Central itself likes to have DBA priviledges but
maybe dbunload will not. That might work if the user only
sees their own objects; though I haven't tried it yet myself
(being aware of group memberships and granted permissions
aside).

There may be something in the PowerDesigner tool kit
for this. It may allow a reverse engineering filter or
filter after the PDM was captured. I do remember
some set operations like that ...
Other data modelling software may also fit here.

"Justin Willey" <g...@nospam.iqx.co.uk> wrote in message

Justin Willey

Oct 1, 2009, 8:33:46 AM10/1/09
Hi

I've just checked and the same issue arises, you need select rights on
the system tables:

***** SQL error: Permission denied: you do not have permission to select
from "SYSUSERPERM"

Many thanks

Justin

Unknown

Oct 1, 2009, 1:23:20 PM10/1/09
I was afraid of that.

Having such a feature does seem reasonable.
{though I'm afraid the result could easily be
incomplete in the general case, as one might
see with the -t -e switches for example}

Are you looking just for schema, or schema + table data?

"Justin Willey" <g...@nospam.iqx.co.uk> wrote in message

Justin Willey

Oct 1, 2009, 2:06:34 PM10/1/09

> {though I'm afraid the result could easily be
> incomplete in the general case, as one might
> see with the -t -e switches for example}

Understood - we would need to ensure consistency.

> Are you looking just for schema, or schema + table data?

Both really. We have an example of two different but related sets of
data in a database - each maintained through their own front end and
capable of independent use. For data protection reasons it's important
not to grant dba to either owner.

It wouldn't be a problem to grant dba temporarily for the purposes of
the unload - but of course that doesn't solve the problem at the moment,
as then you get the whole database!

Thanks