Where is DSEdit?

Nick Schneir

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99

Sybase support,

I downloaded the demo version SQL Anywhere 6 for NT. My installation does
not seem to have DSEdit. Is it available online somewhere? (I ordered the
full version, but it will not arrive for a few days.)

Nick Schneir
Senior Software Engineer
Cbyon, Inc.
2275 E. Bayshore Rd, Suite 101
Palo Alto, CA 94303
650-842-1810

work: ni...@cbyon.com
personal: ni...@well.com

Jason Hinsperger

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99

DSEdit and SQLEdit are Open client connectivity components. You would only
need them if you were wanting to use TDS support. I believe the assumption is
that if you want to use TDS support, you will already have the Open Client
components, which include one of the mentioned utilities.

Jason Hinsperger
Product Quality
Adaptive Server Anywhere

Nick Schneir wrote:

> I don't seem to have a copy of SQLEdit.exe either. Why do the SQL Anywhere
> Studio docs go into great detail about using DSEdit to set it up as an Open
> Server, if it is not even intended to be used with it?
>
> David Fishburn <spamoff_...@sybase.com> wrote in message
> > DSEdit is required for Adaptive Server Enterprise and Open Client. It's
> > predecessor is called sqledit.exe

Peter Alan Burton

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99
to Nick Schneir
Nick,

DSEdit does not come with SQL Anywhere (at least with the 6.02 CD).

Peter

David Fishburn

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99

--
David Fishburn
Sybase

Nick Schneir

Nick Schneir

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99

Jason Hinsperger <ZZhin...@sybase.com> wrote in message

> DSEdit and SQLEdit are Open client connectivity components. You would
only
> need them if you were wanting to use TDS support. I believe the
assumption is
> that if you want to use TDS support, you will already have the Open Client
> components, which include one of the mentioned utilities.

I want to use events so that my Java app (running on the same machine as the
database) will know when the database is updated. I am using SQL Anywhere
and JConnect 5.0.

The manual that came with SQL Anywhere Studio 6 says:

>Adaptive Server Anywhere can appear to client applications as an Open
Server. This provides native
>support for the Sybase Open Client programming interface, and therefore
native support for Sybase
>applications such as Replication Server and OmniConnect. This chapter
describes how to use Adaptive
>Server Anywhere as an Open Server, and how to configure Open Client and
Adaptive Server Anywhere to
>work together.

My understanding is that JConnect uses TDS directly and does not require
Open Client (just an Open Server). What am I missing? Is there another way
to achieve my goal?

BTW, Thanks for the quick responses!

- Nick Schneir

Rob Waywell

May 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/11/99

Hi Nick,
To clear up one piece of confusion: DSEDIT is required for ASE to
specify both a MASTER and a QUERY entry. The MASTER entry is used by the
server to determine what port to listen on. The QUERY entry is used by the
Open Client to determine what port to connect to. With ASA, the server
automatically starts on port 2638 and does not require a MASTER entry in the
SQL.INI file to tell it which port to listen on. If you wish to change this
port for ASA, then you do so as a parameter on the command line. This means
that you don't need DSEDIT on the server side in an ASA system.
Since you are connecting from a java app using jConnect, you actually
specify the port number explicitly as part of the connection string.
jConnect does not rely on the QUERY entry in the SQL.INI file. This means
that you shouldn't need DSEDIT anywhere in the architecture you described
below.

--

---------------------------------------
Rob Waywell

Nick Schneir

May 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/11/99

Rob,

Thanks for the explanation.

When I try to set up an EventHandler, I get an exception that says that the
sp_regwatch procedure is not found. From reading the docs I figured that I
need to configure it with DSEdit. Do you have any idea what I might be doing
wrong?

Rob Waywell

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
Hi Nick,
I can't find sp_regwatch in the ASA 6.0.2 documentation or a 6.0.2 db
that was initialized to include jConnect support. Where are you finding
documentation on that stored procedure?

--

---------------------------------------
Rob Waywell
Sybase
Please Respond to Newsgroups

Nick Schneir

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99

Rob,

I am not finding sp_regwatch in the documentation -- that is the problem.
When I run the Java/JConnect example program EventHandler, I get an
exception. I can do a query in Java, but can't subscribe to an event. (That
is what started all of this; I was trying to figure out if I had everything
configured correctly.)

I run it like this:

D:\PROGRA~1\Sybase\jConnect>java sample.SybSample EventHandle -U DBA -P
SQL -S jdbc:sybase:Tds:localhost:2638

And get this exception:

ASA Error -265: procedure 'sp_regwatch' not found
com.sybase.jdbc.SybSQLException: ASA Error -265: procedure 'sp_regwatch' not
found
at com.sybase.tds.Tds.processEed(Compiled Code)
at com.sybase.tds.Tds.nextResult(Compiled Code)
at com.sybase.jdbc.ResultGetter.nextResult(ResultGetter.java)
at com.sybase.jdbc.SybStatement.nextResult(Compiled Code)
at com.sybase.jdbc.SybStatement.updateLoop(Compiled Code)
at
com.sybase.jdbc.SybCallableStatement.executeUpdate(SybCallableStatement.java
)
at com.sybase.tds.TdsEventContext.addHandler(TdsEventContext.java)
at com.sybase.tds.Tds.makeEventContext(Tds.java)
at com.sybase.jdbc.SybConnection.regWatch(SybConnection.java)
at sample.EventHandler.sampleCode(EventHandler.java)
at sample.EventHandler.run(EventHandler.java)

Rob Waywell <rway...@sybase.com> wrote in message

Peter Alan Burton

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
to Nick Schneir

Nick,

Is there some install script you didn't run that creates the desired stored
procedure for you?

Peter

Nick Schneir

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
I don't know. I ran sql_anywhere.sql as described in the jConnect
installation guide. Is there another script I should run?
- Nick

Peter Alan Burton <peter....@sqribe.com> wrote in message