NullReferenceException in CMWebService call using .NET Web Forms

Paul Vos

Jun 22, 2011, 4:30:56 PM6/22/11
I am running PB12 (Classic Interface) and have created an application
to consume the IBM Content Manager CMWebService, using SOAP. When
running the app, I am able to connect to CM fine as well as issue any
method I want (RunQuery and RetrieveItem) and I get return data as
expected... until I use the .NET Web Forms wizard to create a Web
Forms version of my app.

After the Web Forms are created and I run the app, I can still log
into CM fine but when the RunQuery method is called, the app times-out
after about 20 seconds or so and crashes with the following message:
"Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManagerServerErrorException: An unknown error
occurred while processing the request..."

If I step thru the application in Debug Mode, I get see that the
problem is in the RunQuery method against the Web Service object. I
get this error:
"System.NullReferenceException in
Sybase.PowerBuilder.PBString.ToString"
... and then, of course, a crash.

Since the application works fine as a Powerbuilder desktop app but not
as a .NET Web Form, I am guessing that the problem lies somewhere in
how Powerbuilder is handling the data coming back from the Web Service
thru the .NET layer. I can also see, using Fiddler2, that the Web
Service is indeed processing the RunQuery method and returning XML.

Does anyone have an idea for how to troubleshoot this? PB's error
message is pretty weak on helping me hammer down how to fix this.

Thanks,

Paul

bruce.a...@yahoo.com

Jul 7, 2011, 10:31:02 AM7/7/11
This group is no longer active on the Sybase server. In addition, the feed between Google and the Sybase server is not currently working. If you post
through Goolge the post will never show up on the Sybase server, and most
people who answer questions in that group will never see it.
Instead, you may want to access the Sybase newsgroups directly at:

http://www.sybase.com/detail_list?id=11507&pageNum=1&multi=true&show=1248