PVCS and PowerBuilder 8 painfully slow

brandonblanck

Apr 6, 2010, 5:13:04 PM4/6/10
We have a fairly large PowerBuilder app (some 5000 objects) that I am
trying to get working with Serena PVCS (or ChangeMan or whatever
they're calling it these days). Each PBL is stored in a separate
folder. The PVCS database is stored on a shared network drive (the
physical drive is actually a 10000 RPM Raptor).

All operations concerning source control are very, very slow. Like 2
hours to do the initial add of the files to PVCS, and then 5 minutes
to expand a PBL in the browser. Nevermind doing a Get Latest Version
or anything like that! We've been successfully using PBNative for
sometime; I would expect the speed of PVCS to be at least somewhat
similar (if not faster!)

I've been in contact with Serena support with little progress. They
don't seem to have much PowerBuilder knowledge.

Has anyone had any success with PVCS or know any tips/tricks? It's
pretty much unusable with the speed as it is.

Thanks,
Brandon

brandonblanck

Apr 6, 2010, 5:22:57 PM4/6/10
Small update: I'm testing the project with MS Visual Source Safe and
it's quick. Like PBNative quick. So I'm fairly convinced it's
something with the PVCS setup/configuration and not PowerBuilder.