PB integration with Subversion

amy...@merck.com

Feb 25, 2009, 9:11:45 AM2/25/09
I am trying to integrate with SVN. I am using PB 10.0 and trying to
set up source code control using PBSCC Proxy. I also have Tortoise
SVN. If anyone has any documentation or can provide some assistance
to get me started, it would be greatly appreciated.

Arthur Hefti

Feb 25, 2009, 12:29:18 PM2/25/09
Get the PushOK SVN plugin from http://www.pushok.com/soft_svn.php. We're
using it together with SVN for years.

Regards
Arthur

<amy...@merck.com> wrote in message

amy...@merck.com

Feb 27, 2009, 10:10:44 AM2/27/09
Hi Arthur.

Thank you for your reply. I was able to download an eval copy of
PushOK SVN. I set it up on my PC. Do you have any instructions on
how you setup your local directory and the PB workspace properties?

I have a local directory c:\svn\gencord which is where I checked out
the SVN files into. For the workspace properties, my local root
directory refers to this location. The project points to the SVNURL
for the local repo. Did you uncheck 'Delete PB generated object
files'? I have all myPowerbuilder objects in the SVN repo including
PBL, PBT, PBC. I question whether the PBL and PBC should be there. I
have no problems using SVN and PushOK for one user. I do run into
some issues when I tested using two PCs where I had checked out the
same file or added a new object from one PC. SVN reports a conflict
with the PBL. Issuing an Update, comit, or going to a previous
revision doesn't resolve the error. Should I not have PBLs, PBT, and
PBC in source control? Do you occasionally run into conflicts that
cannot be resolved? How stable is your source control?

I appreciate any advice or suggestions!

Arthur Hefti

Feb 27, 2009, 10:46:45 AM2/27/09
Hi

I don't check "Delete PowerBuilder-generated object files" and "Perform diff
on status update". I do check "Suppress prompts to overwrite read-only
files" and "This Project requires that I sometimes work offline". The 2nd
options allows to check out without being connected to the SVN Server.

Don't include PBLs in source control.

The get things started you could copy all your projects files (PBL, PBT,
PBW, etc) in an empty directory (plan to use a subdirectory for each PBL
because of performance issues with SVN otherwise).

Open the Workspace Properties and fill in the information as you did before.
Now you can go to the Target or each PBL and add the objects to source
control.

If the project is under source control already go to an empty directory,
click the right mouse button and choose SVN Check out from the tortoise menu
and enter the project URL. After this you could either use ORCA Script to
build your PBLs or you could copy the PBLs from another workstation, open
the workspace and set the Workspace Properties as before. Get Latest version
and full rebuild after that is a good idea.

Regards
Arthur

<amy...@merck.com> wrote in message

Paul Horan[Sybase]

Feb 27, 2009, 11:12:57 AM2/27/09
Don't add the .PBC files either. Those are workstation-specific and should
not be source-controlled.

--
Paul Horan[Sybase]
paulhoran.pbdjmagazine.com

"Arthur Hefti" <art...@catsoft.ch> wrote in message

amy...@merck.com

Mar 3, 2009, 1:03:04 PM3/3/09
Hi Arthur,

I have PB objects, PBT, and PBW files in Subversion. I am having some
issues with PBLs not having changes made by another PB user.

Here's my scenario:
1. User 1 made change to a window. This change is in SVN.
2. User 2 does an update to receive this window change from SVN.
3. On User 2, viewed the PB window object in notepad to verify that
change is present.
4. On User 2, open this window. The window does not have the change
anymore.

If PBLS are not in SVN, how would it have received the change to the
window?
Does every PB user run Ocrascript to rebuild PBL files?

Thank you for your help.

Amy

Jeremy Lakeman

Mar 3, 2009, 6:42:25 PM3/3/09

Yes, every user can run orcascript to incrementally update their pbl's
or they can be updated manually by rightclicking on the target and
choosing "get latest version"

Arthur Hefti

Mar 4, 2009, 1:18:20 AM3/4/09
PBLs are binary files. If something changes you can't do a simple diff and
you have to replace the whole PBL. What if someone is working on another
object in the same PBL. He would have to check in the changes before the pbl
can be updated.

You can use, are Jeremy suggested, orca scripts to update (not recreate) the
pbls. If someone works on an object that was changed by another developer,
the latest version is downloaded upon checkout.

Arthur

<amy...@merck.com> wrote in message

Paul Horan[Sybase]

Mar 4, 2009, 1:32:48 AM3/4/09
FYI: Steps 2 and 3 are extraneous and only lead to confusion.

The process should be something more like this:
1. User 1 checks out the window object.
2. User 1 makes a change and checks it in.
3. User 2 does a "refresh status" on the target, or PBL, or just that object
and notices they're out of sync.
4. User 2 does a "Get Latest Version" on the target, or PBL, or just that
object to get the most recent source from SVN and import it into their local
copy of the PBL automatically. Make sure NOT to click the "Select All"
button.

No messing with SVN commands, no messing with the exported SRW file is
necessary, and registering the PBLs into source control is not necessary.
(And I don't even bother registering the PBW file, since those belong to
each developer and shouldn't need to be source-controlled.)

--
Paul Horan[Sybase]
paulhoran.pbdjmagazine.com

Russ

Apr 10, 2009, 12:27:25 PM4/10/09
What would be the recommened manner to build an application
or setup new developers with the current code when using
Subversion?

I used to create new libraries from the current contents in
source control but that was using PowerGen with MS VSS. I
don't want to have to say copy another developer's directory
structure and get latest version. I would rather have a
process to build a clean copy of the application.

Russ

Arthur Hefti

Apr 10, 2009, 12:48:28 PM4/10/09
Use ORCA Script to build the libraries (see HTML help for details).

create Library ... // for each library

scc set connect property provider ....
SCC set connect property userid ....
scc set connect property localprojpath ".\"
scc set connect property project ...
SCC Connect
SCC set target ... importonly
SCC refresh target "full"
SCC Close

Arthur

Paul Horan[Sybase]

Apr 10, 2009, 2:05:35 PM4/10/09
That works - but only if the local root folder contains the current version
of all the exported source.

So - use your SCC provider's commandline utility to do a full GET of the
desired configuration point first - then call this OrcaScript batch.

And - I recommend "SCC CONNECT OFFLINE", since this batch doesn't require a
connection to the SCC provider.

--
Paul Horan[Sybase]
paulhoran.pbdjmagazine.com

"Arthur Hefti" <art...@catsoft.ch> wrote in message

krushnamr...@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2017, 7:16:59 PM3/24/17
I'm trying to integrate PowerBuilder2SVN. I installed Tortoise SVN as Client and PBSSCCProxy too. But, when am trying to setup Source Control, what value should I provide for "Project". I was trying to add SVN URL on "Project" filed but am getting error. Would you please assist me on the same? "The project points to the SVNURL".

Thanks!
for the local repo