Paging using Hibernate

Amit Tropper

Nov 20, 2007, 6:21:25 AM11/20/07
Hello,

I would like to verify whether anyone seen an issue with using sqlanywhere
10
and hibernate for paging once it is required to query large tables.
I'm using the dialect org.hibernate.dialect.SybaseAnywhereDialect and
jConnect 5.5 configured
and trying to use Hibernate paging functionality, however I found that the
dialcet/driver probably doesn't translate well to
Sybase paging SQL syntax (top statement) and as result hibernate fetch all
the table and manage the paging in memory.

Any ideas whether this issue is know and if there are workarounds for it?

Thanks,
Amit.

Jeff Albion (Sybase iAnywhere)

Nov 26, 2007, 4:36:43 PM11/26/07
Amit,

I'd recommend contacting Hibernate directly. In the API documentation,
it mentions that the dialect was tested on "ASA 8.x" (which is now many
years old), and even seems to confuse the origins of ASA and ASE in the
documentation (the developer has assumed that ASA's dialect is an
"extension" of "Enterprise", which is not true in all cases).

See:
http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/v3/api/org/hibernate/dialect/SybaseAnywhereDialect.html

Sybase iAnywhere won't be able to provide much support since this is a
third-party interface. Perhaps if you had the source code to the
dialect, we could help more, and possibly point you in the right direction.

Other developers are using Hibernate and SQL Anywhere, so possibly
someone else can suggest methods in Hibernate to achieve the result
you're looking for.

Regards,

--
Jeff Albion, Product Support Analyst