JZ002: Password property '' too long. Maximum length is 30

CZ

Sep 5, 2007, 10:31:20 AM9/5/07
unfortunately, in our JAVA app we have user passwords
greater than 30 chars and getConnection() throws
SQLexception like this.
Same user in other aplications (PowerBuilder, ISQL, Sybase
Central) connects successfully. Can I get Connection with
other way ? ie. via connection_string ?
Any idea how can I resolve this problem ?
Thanks for your time.

Sep 5, 2007, 4:30:52 PM9/5/07
On 5 Sep 2007 07:31:20 -0700, Jiri Miklik (CZ) wrote:

I think the other applications must be silently truncating ASE
password at 30 characters as this is the ASE limit. Just truncate it
at 30 chars and see if it works.

CZ

Sep 6, 2007, 2:08:10 AM9/6/07
No, no.
I try it, but didn't work. We have prehistoric ASA 5.0.
Login passwords are stored in SYSUSERAUTH as encrypt string.
May be that encrypted string is truncated to 30 bytes
length, but it's computed from full length of password.
Login via ISQL with 35 bytes password => success, if I
truncate it, login fails.
Thanks, other idea ?
JiMi

Sep 6, 2007, 7:54:32 PM9/6/07
On 5 Sep 2007 23:08:10 -0700, Jiri Miklik (CZ) wrote:

C:\>isql -Usa -Pabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz01234 -Spassthru
CT-LIBRARY error:
: user api layer: external error: A data length of 31 exceeds
the maximum length allowed for password data.

C:\>isql -v
Sybase CTISQL Utility/12.5.1/P-EBF13008 ESD #11/PC
Intel/BUILD1251-044/OPT/Thu O
ct 27 20:06:59 2005

jConnect -
Message : JZ002: Password property '' too long. Maximum length is 30.
java.lang.NullPointerException

The maximum length of the password is 30 characters.

I just looked at the TDS Specification Version 3.6 and
pwlen[TDS_MAXNAME] is a byte array where TDS_MAXNAME = 30.

I don't see how any current product could support anything longer than
30.

The jConnect doc say if you have to connect to ASA 5.0 you need a
gateway the handles TDS but I don't think the issue of longer than 30
char passwords has come up so I would open a support case.

Jay