DYNAMIC_PREPARE = true - downsides

oddaolsen

Jan 19, 2003, 7:42:00 AM1/19/03
Hi.

Why is the default value of DYNAMIC_PREPARE set to false? What are the
possible downsides of setting it to true? Do we have to watch out for
any new bottlenecks / hotspots. If we set it to true should we adjust
any other parameters (either on Sybase itself or one the JDBC driver)?

We use this JDBC driver:
JDBC driver: jConnect (TM) for JDBC(TM)/5.5(Build
25161)/P/EBF10839/JDK12/Tue Dec 10 1:49:21 2002

And this Sybase version : Adaptive Server Enterprise/12.0.0.4/P/SWR
9839

On Solaris: SunOS 5.8 Generic_108528-12

Remi.

Sep 19, 2012, 7:51:20 AM9/19/12
The value of DYNAMIC_PREPARE has an impact when the prepared statements in java are not explicitly closed :

When DYNAMIC_PREPARE is true, all the unclosed prepared statements are left in the procedure cache until the connection is closed. This can cause contention on the procedure cache.

Be aware that DYNAMIC_PREPARE default value is true with recent jConnect versions.

Regards,
Remi.