Connnectivity Issue b/w Sybase and Itanium

Mayuresh Shetty

Nov 29, 2012, 6:49:53 AM11/29/12
Dear All,

We are in process of Non-Stop Tandem Servers to new Itanium servers.
We have some scripts which uses the isql binary from our existing ASE 12.0.0.7 instance to connect to Tandem catalog(instance).
However when we do so we get the below error.

CT-LIBRARY error:
ct_connect(): network packet layer: external error: There is a protocol packet error. An illegal length was received.

Some background on TANDEM/ITANIUM

Tandem/Itanium are different servers who have their own dbms “Nonstop SQL”.
What we are doing here is just using these isql binary from Sybase and connect to Tandem DB/catalog and run DML Statements.
Please refer the below illustration for better understanding.

dbadmin@TEST002:/dbadmin>isql -UXXX -STANDEM01
Password:
1> exit
dbadmin@tTEST002:/dbadmin>isql -UXXX -STANDEMTST
Password:
CT-LIBRARY error:
ct_connect(): network packet layer: external error: There is a protocol packet error. An illegal length was received.

We are able to connect to the existing configured TANDEM Servers as above but we get an error on the new ITANIUM boxes.

Have put entries in interfaces and /etc/hosts correctly.still no success

I have opened a P2 case with Sybase TS but have no clue about there understanding.

Please let me know if you have any inputs.

Thanks,

Mayuresh Shetty