12.5 to 15 conversion

jeffo

Jan 25, 2010, 3:58:14 PM1/25/10
We know the two options are single and parallel for
converting, however my boss believes he heard something
where you can attach a SQL server somehow and use it as a
conversion resource. Has anyone heard of this at all ...
anywhere ? or is my boss simply having late night dreams!
..

Thanks to all who respond.

Mark A. Parsons

Jan 25, 2010, 4:42:49 PM1/25/10
Welllll ... I have no idea what you mean by "single and parallel for converting", nor do I have any idea what
(Microsoft?) SQL Server has to do with ASE 12.5 -> 15 upgrades.

Could you elaborate on your comments? Perhaps give us some idea of what you're looking to accomplish?

Getting the boss to provide more details would be good, too ... unless s/he's a pointy-haired-boss type in which case it
might still be interesting to hear what s/he has to say (if simply from an amusement point of view). :-P

Bret Halford

Jan 25, 2010, 5:57:33 PM1/25/10

The usual options are "in place" (the existing server
is upgraded) and "dump and load" ( a new server on the higher
version is set up and dumps from the lower version are loaded,
the ONLINE command causes the database to be upgraded).

Perhaps he is thinking of the SybMigrate utility program?

dumbdog

Jan 25, 2010, 10:04:42 PM1/25/10

the 'ASE Mount/Unmount' using manifest file is closest to
mssqlserver's attach-detach. ASE mount/unmount resembles the
ms-sqlserver attach-detach where one can move db dev files
to new location mostly done to move sqlserver db files on
large partitions... This is also one of the methods of ase
15 upgrade check the upgrade section in the configuration
manual.